pop-up sprinker flooding

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by dianne, Dec 24, 2006.

1. dianne

dianne New Member

The sprinker head is close to my driveway and I may have driven over it. It floods when the sprinklers go on. I replaced the broken riser. When it pops-up it stays up and lots of water appears to be bubbling up from somewhere. Can anyone help me understand what's going on?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You may have cracked the tee. Need to dig down to the pipe and see what's what.
  3. teamo

teamo New Member

You could have cracked the tee or the sprinkler body or sometimes there is a rock lying against the line and that ends up puncturing it. The only way to know is to dig it up and have a look.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Lots of times the sprinkler is attached solidly to the supply line. The best way is to use a swing pipe that will give when driven over or stepped on. There's no doubt in my mind that the break is in the tee or supply pipe as the previous responders have indicated. Cheap and easy repair.:)
  5. teamo

teamo New Member

Yeah I like the swing pipe the best. It allows you to set the sprinkler in just the right spot and height without having to fight with those riser pipes.
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Exactly! Sure wish I knew about that when I installed my system 20 years ago. Hell, I cut and fit everything solid PVC! I've rework alot of the system since, and sure have learned to love swing joints.