Pop-up drain refuses to hold water

Users who are viewing this thread

Afletch

Reaction score
Hello, all!

I purchased a new Delta sink faucet and drain assembly. Looks great, but the pop-up drain will not hold water.

I'm positive that the drain portion is the leak, not the underside of the "lip" surrounding the pop-up. If I remove the pop-up and plug the hole with a rubber plug, the water stays.

I've tried flipping the rubber seal so that it touches the metal "top" but that doesn't work either.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Afletch

Reaction score
Thicker rubber washer?
Maybe you got a defective popup - can you return it for another one?
I did contact Delta about this issue and they sent a brand new pop-up which is an exact match to the first one. It too will not hold water.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
That style doesn't look famialr to me (I'm not a plumber but have installed serveal pop ups in my home).

How old is that drain? What model is it?

This is what I'm familiar with https://media.deltafaucet.com/SpecSheet/DSP-L-72172 Rev C.pdf

On my pop up drains the center part (the piece you push on to open/close) unscrews so it can be removed to clean out hair, etc., if our model unscrews too it may be that it is just not screwed in far enough.

Afletch

Reaction score
I have not seen a Delta plug that looks like that or which was that short. Does it "attach" to the actuator lever/rod?

Hi! It is not activated by a lever. It's spring loaded–like you might find in a tub. You press on it to "pop" it open and closed.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is there something inhibiting the motion of the actuator mechanism? It sounds like it is not dropping down far enough to make the seal. Where does the actuator connect? Does that sleeve with the setscrew in it move, and if it does once loosened, does that adjust how far up/down the stopper can go? Can you take a picture of the actuator? On most, that's just a rod that moves a lever that moves the stopper up and down, but that looks like it may be something different.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that Philips screw maybe a set screw to let you adjust the height/length?

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does the chrome stopper unscrew from the mechanism? Is it screwed down all the way? I have some Chinese (Kes or Keshili brand) ones and both pieces unscrew. Also try a little silicone grease on the rubber part.

Afletch

Reaction score
Is there something inhibiting the motion of the actuator mechanism? It sounds like it is not dropping down far enough to make the seal. Where does the actuator connect? Does that sleeve with the setscrew in it move, and if it does once loosened, does that adjust how far up/down the stopper can go? Can you take a picture of the actuator? On most, that's just a rod that moves a lever that moves the stopper up and down, but that looks like it may be something different.
Hi! No actuator. It is spring loaded and open and closed with a push down on the "top."

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd try loosening the setscrew, and see if I could maybe lower that part slightly, then, maybe, as suggested, the actual stopper could be screwed down to the now lower stop. That may be all that is required to make the seal once the assembly is shortened slightly. Depending on the threads if there are any - the chromed part probably is threaded, it may not even take a full turn.

Is the seat where that black plastic seal goes smooth? If its pitted or otherwise damaged, you may never get it to seal.

Afletch

Reaction score
I'd try loosening the setscrew, and see if I could maybe lower that part slightly, then, maybe, as suggested, the actual stopper could be screwed down to the now lower stop. That may be all that is required to make the seal once the assembly is shortened slightly. Depending on the threads if there are any - the chromed part probably is threaded, it may not even take a full turn.

Is the seat where that black plastic seal goes smooth? If it's pitted or otherwise damaged, you may never get it to seal.
I just checked the set screw and unfortunately, it has no bearing on the length. It's just a guide/channel for the pop-up.

Afletch

Reaction score
Hello, all,

Just a follow-up on this issue. I replaced both Delta "pop-ups" with two new ones that were almost identical. The new drain's ring around the "pop" was a little wider. Another difference is these hold water! I found the replacements online ordered on Saturday, arrived this evening. Installed both (his and hers in the master bath) and they work great. Not sure why the Delta design was such a failure, but I'm happy (as is my wife) to see the sinks hold water!

Thanks for all your advice.

IMG_11.jpg
IMG_10.jpg
IMG_9.jpg
IMG_8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Nice job. Glad its working now.
The old one looked like it had some corrosion on it. Perhaps that was contributing to the problem.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
What brand did you end up buying? That looks to be the same Chinese (Kes) ones I mentioned in my earlier post. Mine appear very well made and are only about $12. I've installed four with no issues.

bruce55

Reaction score
Hello, all,

Just a follow-up on this issue. I replaced both Delta "pop-ups" with two new ones that were almost identical. The new drain's ring around the "pop" was a little wider. Another difference is these hold water! I found the replacements online ordered on Saturday, arrived this evening. Installed both (his and hers in the master bath) and they work great. Not sure why the Delta design was such a failure, but I'm happy (as is my wife) to see the sinks hold water!

Thanks for all your advice.

View attachment 37627 View attachment 37628 View attachment 37629 View attachment 37630
what brand did you end up buying and from where because... I have the same problem... thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks