Pop Up Drain in Vessel Sink Drains Slowly

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rickparsons, Feb 8, 2010.

1. rickparsons

rickparsons New Member

I have a vessel sink that drains slowly. I figured it was the lack of positive pressure. I have a pop up drain with just two small oval openings for water and air to go through. Any recommendations on how to get past this problem on a sink with no overflow? Thanks.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Can you modify the popup so it rises higher. Most popups are a disc that move up and down. How about a picture of the installed drain.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

many of the older designs can't be raised more...some of the pop ups are on the rod wrong by 180 degrees...
  4. rickparsons

rickparsons New Member

Pop Up Drain pictures

Here is a picture of the relatively new drain from inside the bowl and below the vanity. It looks like I can raise the threads.

Attached Files:

5. Plumber Jim

Plumber Jim Member

that's a common problem. it's not a regular popup. they tend to drain slower than a normal lav sink drain. I have even seen the slam shut when draining a full sink.
  6. rickparsons

rickparsons New Member

Thanks for everyone's input. It's too bad if we have a drain with that problem. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement pop up drain? Thanks.
  7. Plumber Jim

Plumber Jim Member

If you don't plan on filling it, you could try a grid strainer.