Polyseamseal, and current product names

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Locktite is now owned by Henkel. There has been some renaming, and it appears that the use of the name "Polyseamseal" has changed substantally.

In http://www.loctiteproducts.com/sealants.shtml see the "*POLYSEAMSEAL ORIGINAL FORMULA" note at the bottom of the first picture 5 tubes of "Loctite 2 in 1 Seal & Bond". You would think that asterisk would match up with something else on the page, but it does not. I would guess that "Loctite® 2 in 1™ Seal & Bond Tub & Tile" would be the equivalent to the familiar POLYSEAMSEAL pictured below, but I don't know for sure.

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

polyseamseal_clear.jpg

Picture is from https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/caulk-toilet-to-floor.860/

Further see farther down that Loctite Products page, the Loctite® Acrylic Caulk with Silicone, Loctite 100% Silcone, and Loctite Painter's Caulk each show POLYSEAMSEAL on their tubes. They are the only ones.

For DAP, http://www.dap.com/products/caulkssealants/kitchen-bath-plumbing/ shows several products. I don't know which of them would be best for toilet bases.
It is the only one that came up when I searched for "toilet" on their website, but Larry S (below) found others. I think his Kwik Seal or KS Plus choice would be better than the one I had found.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry S

Occasional DIY'er
Reaction score
...For DAP, http://www.dap.com/products/caulkssealants/kitchen-bath-plumbing/ shows several products. I don't know which of them would be best for toilet bases.

I didn't see the Polyseamseal, or equivalent Locktite products in the stores around me. I bought DAP Kwik Seal Plus so hopefully that is OK, but I think it would still be helpful to others if someone knowledgeable would comment on the DAP line.

I noticed that Kwick Seal and Kwik Seal Plus clean up with water while the DAP 3.0 requires solvent cleanup, so that's why I thought the Kwik Seal products would be more like Polyseamseal. All three products list caulking toilets on their data sheets.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Looks like the dimwits have chucked the Polyseamseal name, but it's still apparently the same stuff.

The "2-in-1" claim comes from Polyseamseal's original purpose, which was to SEAL and BOND. Hence, two in one. This invented the category of a product that sealed and bonded. What is now called "all purpose" is the original product. The difference between the "all purpose" and the "tub and tile" is that the tub and tile has added to it like 5 times as much mold-killer, so it resists mold and mildew, but is otherwise the "all purpose" formula. I haven't looked at the MSDS for the products (I assume there is one) to compare the "Loctite 2-in-1" to "Locktite Polyseamseal" to "Polyseamseal", but it's my understanding that they are the same stuff, just changing names because that's what nitwit executives do when promoted to new positions, in order to leave their mark on their division.

Like the idiots at Toto who chucked a well-known brand name, "CEFIONTECT", in the United States, and replaced it with the truly-stupid, unpronouncable, dumb-looking, bizarrely-capitalized acronym (CeFIonTect or whatever it is) they were using for CEFIONTECT in the rest of the world. Doubtless this was one guy's decision, to show those US folks who was boss. It would be fun to identify which actual breathing person was that DuMbaSS.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have used DAP quite successfully. I don't claim it to be better than anything else, it's just what I have used. I'd stay with a latex type.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've always used white, but I guess that's because at the time I first started caulking, that's all I knew. No particular reason.

Shaklee3

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the polyseamseal tub product was discontinued? I don't see it on their website anymore. HD no longer carries it.

Reach4

Reaction score

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It's this: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/ps...te-Polyseamseal-Tub-&-Tile-Adhesive-Caulk.htm

Note that they have started putting Polyseamseal on the label again; for a while it was just like Loctite 2-in-1 or something. (The 2-in-1 idea was that it was to Seal and Bond.)

Many merchants just list it as "Loctite Adhesive Caulk" or similar. Just look for the photo of the tube, and it will say "Polyseamseal" on the tube. (Or if its an older tube and says "2-in-1" on it.)

Both the blue tube and the red tube are Polyseamseal. The difference is that the red tube has some anti-mildew stuff in it, so that's why it's called "Tub and Tile".

[I just noticed my earlier post from 2016, where I railed against the nitwits who kept selling the nifty product that they had just purchased, but threw away the very-well-regarded brand name under which everyone knew that product. I guess sales dropped so much they brought back the Polyseamseal name -- or read Basic Marketing for Dummies. It's so nice to be right... :) ]

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As to where to buy it, the tub and tile version doesn't seem to be up on the Lowe's web site anymore, although the basic one is. Of course, what's in the stores may vary from what's on the web site.

If you have a local DoItBest hardware, they appear to carry the little tube in the "red" (tub and tile) version. Or at least can get it. (I would call ahead if it's a trip to the store.) https://www.doitbest.com/products/794364

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks