Polybutylene problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick in OKC

Reaction score
This is my first "thread" so in advance, please forgive my ignorance. Having said that... I'm attempting to replace the shower, from the ground up. I thought I knew enough about plumbing to replace the faucet until I discovered the pipes weren't copper, they're polybutylene coming out of the slab into the existing faucet. Try as I might, I couldn't get them out of the old faucet without destroying the ends. Two hardware stores, Lowes and Home Depot later, I cant seem to find anyone who knows a way to repair these.

Yes I read the article about them being discontinued, but that isn't practicle for me. I just want to put in the new shower. Of course I make the stupid mistake of attempting this job on a sunday. For now I managed to get 1/2" compression fittings to hold them in place so that I can turn the water back on.

Since they're no longer manufactured, is it possible to find a way to secure these lines to my faucet somehow?

thanks,
Rick

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pb

Arre you sure it is gray polybutylene? I have never heard of it being installed under a concrete floor, but it might have been done is other areas of the country. Hardware stores should have a Qest compression adapter, which looks like a flare fitting, but is not one, to make the transition. When was the house built?

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
www.pbpipe.com

There are few compression fittings that can be used such as hj stated there is the Qest Qicktite, Flair-it, and also standard brass compression fittings used for copper. Howerver with the compression fittings you should discard the brass ferrule and use a stiffener and plastic ferrule. Personally I would not recommend any of these especially to install them inside a wall cavity that will be closed up.
With out repiping your house, the proper way to fix this would be to use the correct insert crimp fittings and rings. If you plan to own your house long or to do the plumbing work there I suggest you purchase a pex crimping tool and use the transition fittings from poly to pex for your installation. They should be available at lowes (labeled QestPEX), the tool is about $100 though. locke supply or winnelson will also have what you need but at a higher price. Otherwise find someone - a plumber to rent or borrow the tool from.

good luck

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are talking about the gray PB, you should see metal bands crimped at each connection. These are not re-doable, as you discovered. There are compression adapters available, but these are not allowed inside the walls. You need to get the proper crimp adapter fittings and get a crimper tool. These are all available, but not at the Depot. Check the internet.

Rick in OKC

Reaction score
First of all thanks to everyone for responding...

To JH, yes its the gray polybutylene, coming out of the slab. Looks just like the pix on one of the the pages here that talks about it being discontinued, connectors and all. I had never heard of it being installed that way either, but I'm by no means an expert. I had seen it before in Mobile Homes, but not in "normal" construction. The house was built in 93, and from what I'm seeing uses the polybutylene hose, then converts to 1/2 inch copper at the faucets.

To Clayton, thats more in the line of what I'm looking for, put I want to ensure it meets code and isnt going to come off at some time. I didnt want to spend $100 or so on a tool that I'll only use once, but since I dont have a wife to approve of it, its a price I'm willing to pay. I've seen several ways to secure it, just want it done right... This time!

To Jimbo, as you and Clayton said, the right tool and part is out there, I just have to find it. And like you said, it isn't at the Home Depot or Lowes. Perhaps Locke supply.

As most of you guys know (and I should by now) builders often take the low road during construction to cut costs. My problem isn't with it leaking, it seems to be holding up OK, my problem is with replacement of parts that it's connected to, seems they should have planned ahead, like I am. I dont want to do something half assed that myself or another occupant will have to deal with later.

Again, thanks guys for all your help, I'm nopw armed with the most valuable weapon in my quest... knowledge... well some at least.

Rick

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Lowes

Rick,
The tool and fittings are available at certain Lowes branches. The one on Memorial Rd has them for $97.50. It takes a seperate tool for each size of tubing.

You are looking for a tool and fittings made for PEX tubing not Poly. and in the assortment of PEX fittings you should find a Conversion Coupling that has one black crimp ring and one copper crimp ring. That is the fitting you need to convert from your poly tubing and then continue on with PEX tubing and PEX fittings to finish your installation.

Any of the supply houses will have what you want also, but they normally charge high prices to persons with out accounts. Just remember you want PEX tools and fittings to convert to poly as most of the new sales guys have no idea about gray poly and crimp fittings for it.

good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks