Polybutylene problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by gadan, May 22, 2006.

1. gadan

gadan New Member

my house was built in 1988 and has Polybutylene pipes. About 2 years ago I had a leak in one of the w.heater lines, and replaced it with pvc (just that affected area). I had another leak last year in the other w.heater line (hot water) and replaced too. A neighbor last year was able to replaced the entire house under the Class Settlement. I did not make a claim until now, the first leak developed before the 17 years (required) but I did not make any claim, do you think I still have time to replace the pipes for free?
    Thanks for your advice
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

We have no idea. You will have to contact them and if thay allow you to go by the date of the first leak you wouuld most likely have to have iron clad proof. I don't know if the neighbors word will be good enough. I would bet they would want a paid invoice from a plumber that did the work. Contact them ASAP.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Pb

No. The time limit was 12 years and the only ones still covered are those between 5/22/93, (if they had leaks within the first 12 years, otherwise 5/22/94), and 7/31/95. Having a leak within the covered time frame just gave you an additional year to make the claim. It did not extend the time frame indefinitely. Your situation is exactly why I would tell people, as soon as I knew they had PB, to make a claim immediately, while they were still covered.
  4. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

I hate to say "call a lawyer", but in most class-action settlements the rules of the settlement apply only to those in the class. There are several ways to opt out of most settlements, but in doing so you're on your own in terms of seeking compensation or other redress, and the terms are usually pretty onerous.

So, if you don't happen to be in tha class, call a lawyer, or talk to one informally if you're buddies with him/her, if you want to pursue this on your own. The odds are you'd be better off paying a plumber than a lawyer, but I guess that's true in general.

-mike