Polybutylene to CPVC connection

Users who are viewing this thread

jumpenjuhosaphat

Reaction score
I was referred to this forum by a member at JLC....

I installed a water heater yesterday in a mobile home. The entire plumbing system uses the grey polybutelyne line, which part of needed to be replaced because of fire damage. I used cpvc to replace the damaged plumbing, but making a connection to the polybutelyne has turned out to be difficult at best. First, I used PEX adapters with hose clamps, but the hose clamp proved to be inadequate...Then with a bit of tinkering, I discovered that the poly had the exact same O.D. as the cpvc, and fit snuggly into the cpvc fittings....I used purple primer to clean the poly, and orange cpvc glue to make the connection, but even after an hours time to set up, I could still pull the connection apart with my hands with a little effort. The cpvc cement is holding up so far under pressure, but my guess is that it won't for long. Are there any inexpensive solutions to this problem, as the poly has been recalled and I can't find parts to adapt it to a cpvc system.....Is there an adhesive that will bond cpvc to poly? That would be the simplest way to handle this.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Oh boy...
We had a big "debate" on all purpose glues not long ago here.
I'd suggest a trip to your local supplier, get something thats specifically designed for the poly, compression fitting with a sleeve to keep the poly from collapsing when tightened that adapts to threaded "IPS", then you want a brass threaded CPVC adaptor, which has a thread made of brass on one side and a CPVC hub on the other to glue into, use dope and teflon on the male threads .
Whatever you do, DON'T buy a plain adaptor made of CPVC...the BOX stores sell them, their "plumbing guy" will say they're fine, they aren't.
They crack and the leaks don't appear for days in some cases.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
AYYY, CHIHUAHUA !!!!!

YOU CANNOT GLUE POLYBUTLYENE! Nothing sticks to it. It was never glued in any manner. All the fittings used with it are mechanical crimps or special compression fittings. It is odd size, so you must get a fitting rated for PB, and they are not so easy to find anymore.,

sharkbite_pb_pex.jpg

Tan side to CPVC, gray side to polybutylene

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
The hard ware stores and box stores try to sell me that crap often. I tell them it is not a good idea to mix plastics. Then they try to argue there point. Stupid clerks.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The same size PB, copper, CPVC, PEX and galvanized can all be connected together with QEST gray plastic compression fittings, or I suspect Shark bite fittings too. I.E. 3/4" PB to 3/4" galvanized to copper to CPVC to PEX and back to the PB. You can also get tees, valves, male and female adapters and various reducing couplers, tees etc..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks