Polybutelene pipe replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

jt1

Reaction score
Hello all, I am a new member.

I live in Montgomery county Maryland, and want to have polybutelene pipe (gray plastic pipes, sorry you all probably know them but wanted to be specific) throughout a townhouse (3 level) replaced.

Two companies quoted me a price of $5500 and $6500 (not including drywall work.)

Is looking for private licensed plumbers and having it done a better option? Any idea as to what would be a reasonable price?

Thanks for your help.

TJ (jiffart@aol.com)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Are the companies you mentioned people who specialize in repipe? It is possible that they can so that work more efficiently and this for less money, because it is a specialty with them. They get good at it, know all the shortcuts, and can do it in less time. I am surprised that they don't include wall patch; the repipe companies out here do it all.

That amount is not out of the ballpark for a 3-level home, if they are quoting copper. Get some more bids.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pb

Aren't the two companies "licensed private plumbers"? Without seeing the residence there is no way to tell what someone would/should charge, but that price for a three story repipe, unless it has easy "access" sounds about right, or maybe even a bargain. Local wage scales also affect the final price which is another reason we could not give an estimate without seeing the residence. When was the PB installed?

rrzepka

Reaction score
TJ,

The price sounds like about right. I live in the Northern Virginia suburbs and received a few quotes earlier this year for replacing PB pipe in my condo. The prices I was quoted were essentially $1000 per day for 5 days of work (without any drywall repair) and about $600 for type L copper pipes = $5600. The only saving grace on the quote was if they took longer than 5 days, I was not on the hook for the extra labor (however, no refund if they finished early).

Whatever you do ask if you will have water service after each day's work. If not, you will be spending money for a hotel room each night or staying with friends since you would have no water at home.

-Rob

mosesw

Reaction score
Repiping my condo

Hello.
I am a new member to the Plumbing and Remodel Forum. I have polybutylene pipe and my condo, which was built in 1988. I moved into the place in August 2001. The place is due for repiping, and probably overdue. I am trying to locate two or three plumbing companies in the Northern Virginia area (Alexandria, Virginia) that specialize in repiping and are known to do good work. Plumbing Express is the only plumbing company that I can think of.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pipe replacement

I'd suggest a couple of things. First, ask around among friends that may have had some experience with local companies. Second, look in the Yellow Pages for companies that specialize in replacing pipes. Go to these companies and get a list of customers. Realize of course that any dissatified customers won't be on their lists. Check with the BBB. I would be too conserned that a business might have had a complaint or two, but I would look carefully at what they did about them. Select 3 or 4 that seem to be the best, then get estimates from them. Be sure the estimates are for everything you want done and the type of materials used are the same.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks