Poly Slip-Joint Washer: Which Direction?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by BS, Jun 3, 2007.

1. BS

BS New Member

Which direction should a poly slip-joint washer be installed: pointing (up) toward the tailpiece or pointing (down) in the direction of water flow?

- Bernie
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

In the direction of water flow. The threaded nut screws on and drives the slip nut tight between the pipe and fitting making a water tight seal.
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

This is true for any conical washer, sleeve, seal or ferrule: The flat end always faces the nut.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

slip nut

Front/back or up/down with a slip washer means nothing because we don't know if you are looking at it correctly. The flat side goes against the slip nut so it can push the beveled side into the joint between the pipe and the fitting.
  5. BS

BS New Member

Thanks, everyone. That's what I thought. The slip-joint I bought that morning had the slip washer upside down and I just wanted to be sure before installing it.

- Bernie