Point vs Well

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by OutdoorScotty, Jun 1, 2008.

1. OutdoorScotty

OutdoorScotty Service Technician

We were wondering if we should just put in another sand point, since we just purchased a new pump and charged tank this spring, and plan for a deep well when this point goes to pot in the future. (You said 10 - 12 years is long for a point, what is average?) Or should we bite the bullet and put in a well now. We dont have a washer, dryer or dishwasher, but we do have weeks with multiple families staying there at the same time. Is there an advantage to winter use? The cabin is currently not used in the winter, but we would like to.
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

That choice it entirelly up to you. A drilled well should be far superior to a driven well in some respects but you never know what the water quality will be.

bob...
  3. loafer

loafer Mechanical Engineer

Our house is 28 years old and is still operating on the original point. A smaller, spare point was also installed, but it has never been connected.
  4. speedbump

You must have some Pristine Water

bob...
  5. molliemcguire

molliemcguire New Member

I'm new here and looking around because i will be posting some questions concerning my pump. But, I rent a home in the mountains and we run off of a point. It's the original since the 70's. Our water is clear most of the time. other times, it has much iron in it. ( This is why i think the pump needs replaced) Anyhow, just thought I would put my 2 cents in. :) mm
  6. speedbump

Your pump is working, but your Point may be getting plugged, that's probably what the rusty water is all about.

bob...