Plunging easier in Round or Elongated Toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

bendict101

Reaction score
OK, the Toto sounds like a good replacement for my old American Standard that barely gets down #1.

Some people have mentioned that rarely plunging is required, and the best technique is to put some water in and plunge with short strokes. Some have also mentioned that the plunger does not fit will on some new toilets and a closet snake is required (which I would like to avoid).

My point is that most plungers are round and might fit/seal a round bowl better on these rare occasions. So if plunging is required, would it be easier to do in a round Toto toilet or elongated Toto one??
Or is there no difference in plunger sealing in practice??

Any advice appreciated before I buy.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Round or elongated toilets will have no difference in their plunging ability...it the the shape and size of the outlet, not the general bowl shape. A plunger with a pull-out lower section rather than just a cup tends to work. I've had a couple of Totos installed for about 4-5 years now, and have never needed a plunger...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jim is right, The only difference is the seat that you install.

Nothing else changes.

Attachments

• korky_plunger.jpg
    korky_plunger.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 4,208
Last edited:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Just to be accurate:
It's been clogged BEFORE I do anything
IE the wife or MIL
I can't blame the MIL, I like life ;)

Is there an "elongated" plunger shape instead of the round type?
Wish I had found this site years ago before I bought the Kohlers
They are pretty good, clogs come from following cottage rules
Women just don't understand you can only put so much TP in the bowl before you HAVE to flush

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I believe the plunger that Terry pictured is the best type.

That said, the only plugged up Toto Drake I have ever seen had a clogged main line below it.

korky_plunger.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GramGram

Reaction score
I have a plunger like the one Terry showed...

...but I don't know where it is!!!
I think it is in the garage gathering dust.
I LUV my Drake...
...and it was only about $250 last July...(including the seat!)

bendict101

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for their thoughful feedback on my question.

I did install an ellongated Toto Drake over the weekend (with some help of my friend) and the flushing really works great.

After years (not continuously :) )of watching that old toilet not do it's job, it is great to not have to worry.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm sure lots of folks don't believe what many of us keep saying about the Toto toilets. I think we tend to be brainwashed into thinking that the well know name brands must be the best, and who ever heard of Toto outside of Kansas anyway! They assume that clogs are just a normal part of having a low flow toilet and, like you, are amazed when they find that the hype we have been laying out is really true.:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks