Plunged clogged sink- now there's a leak by my dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I looked up how to unclog my kitchen sink and I took a plunger to it and it worked great. But then I noticed there is a significant leak coming from the area between my sink and dishwasher. I haven't run my dishwasher yet because I'm guessing that it has something to do with the hose that runs to my main sink pipe or waste pipe...That's my guess, but I don't know where i would find the hose because under the sink it's all dry. I don't see where this hose would be. Can someone advise what I can do?

Thanks very much!!!

One last thing- I just checked my basement under where the sink/dishwasher are located and the floor is wet. The wood on the ceiling looks wet in a few areas too- one by a pipe that is sticking down toward the floor, and another place, by the hole where my sink is.

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would look to see if you have any water in your dishwasher. If so I would bet you plunged your sink into the dishwasher, or some of the water. I would unscrew the bottom panel of the dishwasher (2 screws) and look for a drip. Your next step would be to look for the discharge hose and see if it came undone.

Reaction score
Thanks for your great advice! It worked! I got water all over the place- didn't expect as much to come out of the dishwasher as did- but it worked like a charm. Thanks again!

Reaction score
I hear you however, not entirely. There was water in my dishwasher and leaking onto the kitchen floor before I took the plunger to the sink. I don't doubt that I added to the water in the washer but I think the hose was loose because of the clog.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The dishwasher drain should have a high loop up to the bottom of the counter top to prevent water from a clogged line from running into the dishwasher. Or, itshould have an airgap installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks