Plumbing with PEX, which option to choose

Users who are viewing this thread

Supperfly17

Reaction score
Hi there, I need to PEX my basement bathroom. I am going to tap into the line that comes out of the hot water
tank and the cold line. Which option would be better.

Option 1: insert a PEX insert with 3 nipples and feed 3 and 2 lines for vanity, toilet and shower

Option 2: insert a PEX insert with 1 nipple and split later on, when it gets closer to shower, sink and vanity

Thanks.

Option 1
50i5JIN.jpg

Option 2
zF1HiK7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The ID of a 1/2" pipe is about 1/2 of the area of a 3/4" pipe...IOW, a 3/4" pipe can flow nearly twice the volume without pressure drops or excessive velocities, which can become an issue with noise and even durability long-term.

But, depending on your usage, you may not be using multiple things in the bathroom simultaneously. To be safe though, it's a good idea to run direct lines to the shower. If the vanity or toilet get a little slower by sharing their supply, it wont' be as noticeable verses your shower performance.

Given the three types of PEX, I prefer PEX-A, which is the most flexible. This also allows the use of expansion fittings which also have less flow restriction. The fittings for types -b and -c are small enough to be pushed into the pipe end, then are clamped in place. Those used on -a, won't fit into the tubing unless you use a special tool to expand it. Then, after a short delay, the tubing collapses to its original size, locking it onto the fitting. As a result, the ID is larger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Supperfly17

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes im using pex-a and its all 1/2 inch pipe. And you recommend option 1?

Supperfly17

Reaction score
Also am i allowed to tap anywhere into existing pex piping for my bathroom lines? Are there any rules where on is and isnt allowed to tap into?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks