Plumbing walk in shower and tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Crackerjack

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new member to the forums, but have been reading for a while. I searched, but didn't find anything that would help me. I am remodeling an upstairs bathroom and need help with the plumbing. I'm an avid do-it-yourselfer, but am a little lost on this one. I understand the very basic concepts of plumbing, but don't know the exact proper ways to do the drains. I remodeled the downstairs bathroom but the plumbing was simple and already there. I have never installed a walk in shower next to a tub before. The upstairs bathroom only had a tub where I am putting a walk in shower and then installing a soaking/jaccuzi tub next to it. I made a little drawing to help understand what my problem is.

My questions are....

1. Can I plumb the tub and shower into the same line over to the 4" drain? or do I need separate lines going over to the main drain?

2. If I did plumb them together, will the tub since it's higher, drain into the walk in shower? I assume if the line got clogged, it would definitely drain into the shower.

3. also the sink that was there does not have a vent, but it did drain ok. Why did it not airlock?

4. should I call a plumber? :)

Thanks, Will

bathroom.jpg

Crackerjack

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
Are you trying to drain this entire bathroom into the vent stack of an existing bathroom below it?

Yes. That is how it was. The 4" wet/vent is the main stack in the house going from basement to out the roof. It necks down before it goes out the roof. The downstairs bathroom has a tub/toilet/sink. House built in 1936. Previous owner added upstairs bathroom and cut the cast iron stack about halfway up the first floor wall and then went with pvc to upstairs bathroom.

will

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

He must not have gotten a permit or inspection, or it would not have been installed that way. There are too many unknowns for us to try to lay this out sight unseen just using your description. Yes, get a plumber. You already have on system installed by a DIYer, you do not have to make it worse.

Crackerjack

Reaction score
hj said:
He must not have gotten a permit or inspection, or it would not have been installed that way. There are too many unknowns for us to try to lay this out sight unseen just using your description. Yes, get a plumber. You already have on system installed by a DIYer, you do not have to make it worse.

Kinda what I figured. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks