Plumbing Vents on My Roof

Users who are viewing this thread

Daavewaard

Reaction score
I am often surprised when I notice residences and apartments with vents everywhere and with several placed haphazardly in a relatively small space on the roof. One of these days I'll be building my dream home and one objective will be to reduce the number of holes in my roof and another will be to place vents in the most inconspicuous places as possible.

So, my questions deal with the notion of bringing two or more vent pipes together in the attic and combining them so there is only one vent through the roof. Can I assume that it's OK to have horizontal runs of vent pipe in the attic? Can I combine multiple vents into one? Can I vent elsewhere than the roof proper, like behind an attic vent at a peak? Thanks!!

Reach4

Reaction score
To help keep a clean looking roof, I suggest you search the web for the following: attic "conditioned space"

Regarding where and how high plumbing vent penetrations must be, that is largely local. But you can run "horizontal" in the attic, but it must have a slight slope for rain.

Edwardh1

Reaction score
beware, my sons 3500 ft2 late 90s mcmansion had only one or 2 vents and on the back. after finding gurgling in some of the bathrooms we located the horizontal attic vent pipes that had sags in them and the sags had water in them we guess from heavy rain, inadequate pie supports

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks