Plumbing venting system

Users who are viewing this thread

johnbin

Reaction score
I am finishing the work from a plumber I hired who disappeared. Besides the point really but now I am trying to move this forward until I can find a new plumber to help finish this workshop. I am trying to figure out the venting system and have attached a crude picture of what I am considering doing. The main question is, Can I tie into the main vent stack for the upstairs bath or will that be considered wet venting? What I have drawn out connects the upstairs to the aux drain (far left) and then ties the vent from this stack to the main vent. Happy to explain further so ask away with more specifics if that would help. I am fine with the details in each bathroom, just the venting is a little confusing to me.

Attachments

• layout.png
    layout.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 506

johnbin

Reaction score
Ok, so can I run the upstairs bath drain and vent to the main stack and not use the aux? See attached.

Attachments

• layout2.png
    layout2.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,569

johnbin

Reaction score
it seems from your picture attached hat this drain is a vent above and a drain below. can i drain into the stack under the vent attment?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 445

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No, that is a vent that ties into a vent. There is not tying of vents to wet stacks. I think you need to bring back the plumber.

johnbin

Reaction score
Ok sorry my question seems to be bothering you but as I mentioned in the first post, my plumber disappeared and I am in the process of finding a new one but don't want to just leave everything.

Isn't the drain from the sink the same pipe / or in line with the same pipe as the vent for the sink? please see attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 603

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What bothers me is your drawing, not mine.
My drawing is correct, yours is not.

index.php

In this drawing, you are tying the vent in "below" the flood level of the fixtures above. The downstairs bat need to go up to the second floor at 42" above that floor. Not below the floor.

johnbin

Reaction score
I circled a vent on your drawing that is below the upstairs fixtures. Does this one not count?

Attachments

• dwv_b2.jpg
    dwv_b2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 538

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I circled a vent on your drawing that is below the upstairs fixtures. Does this one not count?

That does not count. There is no waste going down that pipe. It's a vent all the way through the roof.
On your drawing, you are connecting to waste lines. On mine, I'm connecting to vents.
If you can trace those pipes upward and "see" it, you will need to find someone that can.
It's okay, I can't speak spanish or french, and I get by with what I can do.

johnbin

Reaction score
Not sure where the difference is. There is no waste entering my pipe above the vent, same as your drawing. What am I missing?

Attachments

• dwv_b2.jpg
    dwv_b2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 495
  • layout2 (1).png
    layout2 (1).png
    181.4 KB · Views: 583

Mike Garrod

Mike G
Reaction score
It's all to do with code. The reason is that if there was a blockage in between your stack and where you downstairs bathtub ties in, it would back up the stack, and into the vent serving your lower bathtub, and even when you got it unclogged, your vent would most likely be full of crap. When you tie your vents in above the flood level rim of your fixtures, your tub, sink, or whatever will overflow, but your venting system will not be compromised.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
You want to tie into the vent stack. a vent stack does not receive any waste no mater what branch level it is as long the vent serving that fixture or bathroom group rises above the flood level rim of the fixture it is serving before going horizontal.

johnbin

Reaction score
So it seems like connecting to the aux drain and running a vent from the aux drain to the stack is the better solution.

Attachments

• layout.png
    layout.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 479

johnbin

Reaction score
You want to tie into the vent stack. a vent stack does not receive any waste no mater what branch level it is as long the vent serving that fixture or bathroom group rises above the flood level rim of the fixture it is serving before going horizontal.

Isn't this sink draining into the vent stack?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 464

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
So it seems like connecting to the aux drain and running a vent from the aux drain to the stack is the better solution.
The 4" stack on the left what does it serve is it a vent through the roof, or does it serve as a waste or soil stack.
In other words does it have anything draining into it and is attached to the vent through the roof.

johnbin

Reaction score
The 4" stack on the left what does it serve is it a vent through the roof, or does it serve as a waste or soil stack.
In other words does it have anything draining into it and is attached to the vent through the roof.

Right now nothing drains into it and it stops at the ceiling of the 1st floor. It was put in for the upstairs bath to drain into but I was hoping to be able to drain that bath into the main stack.

johnbin

Reaction score
No look at the whole drawing, study it like I did for 5 years of school and on the job training the you may be able to under stand

I am not sure why this is so cryptic, either that sink is draining into a pipe that is acting as a drain on the lower section and has a vent above it or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks