Plumbing Trap ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a plumber over my house last night to solder up the K copper. They did a great job. In addition to that I had them Put my shower drain back in and run the new line over to the location of the Jacuzzi tub. They ended up doing the drain in a very peculiar way and when I questioned them they said it was the only way we could get it done.

Here is what they did. Starting in the shower you head down into the 2" drain. Then there is a T that heads over to the jacuzzi tub and then you hit the trap. I'm thinking this is bad news. Can I put a trap just beyond the T to stop smells from coming into that pipe?

I created a quick drawing.

Thanks guys.

Tom

Attachments

• Drain Assembly.jpg
    Drain Assembly.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 443

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In the drawing where it says jacuzzi, I'd like to put in a trap. To stop the gasses from any water collected in the line for the jacuzzi from coming up through the shower drain.

So essentially dropping down the drain to the jacuzzi there would be a trap, then some run of pipe. Then another trap, then it would drop down into the picture that you see there joining with the shower drain then yes one more trap.

Does this clear things up? Essentially two traps before you get into the shower drain then just after the shower drain the final trap before entering the 3" cast iron.

Hopefully this is clear.

Tom

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
everyone will tell you not to send water through two traps, and all threads and discussion too.

perhaps a large scale top view drawing will help us figure out what the plumbers were thinking and what they left for you to finish.

then you can call them too and ask them, once you get a handle on the terminology and the big picture. Terms, and overall conditions. :D .

David

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You said they were plumbers but the job they did implies that they either were not plumbers or not very good ones. They did a "quick and dirty" installation. That was not likely the "only way to do it", it was just the quickest and I hope they did not charge a lot of money to do it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you stated, "I had a plumber over last night," I became suspicious. Other than emergency calls, I don't know of any real plumbers that work a swing shift. Sounds more like a handyman.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
No they were plumbers. They were scheduled to be there on that day. I tried a few little tricks and wasn't able to get it and they did as well. There is a definite issue with the distance to the cast iron and the ability to break up more concrete because it runs right under the wall there etc...

So being here nor there. Would you guys put in another trap to keep the gasses between the jacuzzi trap and the shower trap contained?

Here is a picture that should illustrate what I'm talking about. The first one is current and the second one is the extra trap that I'm proposing.

Attachments

• Drain Assembly_Current.jpg
    Drain Assembly_Current.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 397
  • Drain Assembly_Proposal.jpg
    Drain Assembly_Proposal.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 340

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
The real problem is running a trap into another trap. Adding an "S" or running trap is just compounding the issue.

If I were really really stuck with having to have that setup I would remove the trap at the jacuzzi and then run it straight into the other trap. It's still not right though.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why is adding an S there or a trap there compounding the problem?

Thanks

Tom

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
statjunk said:
Why is adding an S there or a trap there compounding the problem?

Thanks

Tom

"S" traps are illegal these days in most places. Your first problem is with the trap to trap scenario. What's the layout look like? Do you have a plan we can take a peak at?

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Florida,

Sorry I don't understand the question on Layout. Do you mean the bathroom layout or the plumbing layout?

If you want to see the plumbing layout it is the current picture.

Tom

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Do you have a sketch of your bathroom and where the plumbing is running, what vents are tied to or in the area?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Double trapped fixtures?
A flat bottomed fixture with a tub tied directly into it's trap?
I know code changes from state to state, but this would come no where near passing an inspection here.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
Double trapped fixtures?
A flat bottomed fixture with a tub tied directly into it's trap?
I know code changes from state to state, but this would come no where near passing an inspection here.

I know what I posted wouldn't pass inspection...I was just hypothesizing for a worst case scenario. Even though it would work I know it's not the correct way of doing it.

BTW, statjunk - where are you located?

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Here is an above view of the bathroom.

Attachments

• Bathroom.jpg
    Bathroom.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 367

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
OK, and where is the existing sanitary? You may have to, and be required to vent your jacuzzi and shower separately. Why is it tied into the shower trap itself? Were you redoing the shower and had it torn up anyway? If they were going to tie into plumbing randomly they should have just tied it into the sanitary coming from the sink, but I don't think that would've made you legal in your state (it would too much in Florida but an inspector could be persuaded to let it slide).

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes I had to tear up the shower drain anyway. The issue with the is house is it's on a slab with copper tubing runing in the concrete. So every time I break or cut the concrete that is more copper that needs to be replaced. Not mention the concrete is very hard.

So what is the recommendation from the group? What can I do to stop gasses from inside the pipe between the jacuzzi and the shower from escaping through teh shower drain?

Thanks

Tom

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
statjunk said:
Hey guys,

I had a plumber over my house last night to solder up the K copper. They did a great job. In addition to that I had them Put my shower drain back in and run the new line over to the location of the Jacuzzi tub. They ended up doing the drain in a very peculiar way and when I questioned them they said it was the only way we could get it done.

Here is what they did. Starting in the shower you head down into the 2" drain. Then there is a T that heads over to the jacuzzi tub and then you hit the trap. I'm thinking this is bad news. Can I put a trap just beyond the T to stop smells from coming into that pipe?

I created a quick drawing.

Thanks guys.

Tom

Tom, maybe they cut you a break in price, but thats NOT what I'd call a break, imagine a small hairball that sticks to the shower grate and partially clogs the trap...then you pull the plug on the tub waste with the restricted flow at the trap.
You need to call him back and pay the extra, or face the potential of redoing the ceiling below regularly...along with potential electrical, frame rot...etc.
Are you sure this guys a plumber?...licensed?
What you've diagrammed is only the tip of the ice berg....vents?...pitch?... where's the closet come into this drain?

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Got another plumber to come out yesterday to take a look at the work. He claims that the only way to do it right is to take down the back wall of the shower, cut through about 4 more square feet of concrente and re-plumb the Cast Iron 3" Y that is just behind the shower and then rebuild from there.

The plumber claims that this is not code and not great but it should work. I asked him about the additional trap and he just kind of grimaced and said, I don't know....

So basically it has to stay something like it is right now. So how can I make the best of this situation?

Grumpy, there is no lower ceiling this is a slab house.

Tom

P.S. Since I have a feeling I know what you guys are going to say I called and another plumber is coming out today.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks