Plumbing survey needed for me to get into trade school

Users who are viewing this thread

tczigs

Reaction score
I am in need of help with a survey I need to complete in order to get into a plumbing trade school. Anyone interested in helping that would be great. I cannot tell you how much I would appreciate this.

1. What tasks does a plumber perform?
2. What is a typical day like for a plumber?
3. What skills do you look for when hiring a plumber?
4. What kind of specialized training do you require or prefer?
5. What education is required?
6. What characteriustics does someone need to have?
7. What are the ooportunities for advancement?
8. What is the starting salary range?
9. What is the employment outlook nationally?
10.Do you feel job opportunities are increasing or decreasing?
11.What advice would you give someone entering this field?

That is it 11 questions and you can email your answers to me or post them here I would also need if you would your company name and your name. First name only is fine

tczigs@yahoo.com

Thanks
Treavor

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I never heard of needing something like this to get into a plumbing school. What is the name of the school and where is it located?

I'm not sure how someone not knowing anything about plumbing could answer these questions.

Go to school nights and work for a plumber days for about 4 years and you will have a good start at be coming one.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Let me give this general answer to question (1):

The plumbing business can broadly be divided into SERVICE work and CONSTRUCTION work. Construction could be divided into residential and large commercial. Some companies only do service OR construction. Some companies do both.

Questions about skills, characteristics: You should be able to sit down and think about these and come up with some answers.

Questions about the trade and the industry: Lots of information available on the internet. HINT: Computer and internet skills ARE valuable tools for a plumber. Just one example: Often, the only place to find parts explosions and parts list for a fixture are at the manufacturer's website.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are already smarter than most....

you can read and write, and type pretty well too...

so you appear to already be ahead of the pack.....

the best area to be in is service..... you will always be in demand...

any kid can drill holes on a construction site, with a foreman
looking over him......

their is no future in construction or non-union commercial work...

all you are going to learn is how to dig......

and you will wear out your body doing hard labor for about 12+

till you get a liscense...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For service,

you got to have a good persoanlity, good sense of
humor and be able to act like a normal human..and be
able to carry on a basic conversation ...
and not act like a dumb ape...in peoples homes.

you wont last long if you "creep out"
your customers. with a bad nasty atitude......poor appearance
---ass hanging out of your pants, ect ect....

I have seen it all walk through my door...

if you get on in a Union the best you will probably ever
make in the midwest is about 27 pe hour pls benefits...
(while the job lasts)

the average journeyman plumber around here makes between 18 to 25 per hour depending on his abilities and general appearance...

its hard to believe that most apprentices that I
have ever had would not even go to a trade class
for one Tuesday night a week... even when they had to pay for
it themselves ......they still dropped out.....

ladies night is on tuesday at the bars, I guess.

Last edited:

tczigs

Reaction score
To clarify things

I am trying to qualify for NAFTA (North American Free Trade Act). My job was eliminated and moved overseas and I was laid off from my company. My company applied for the Trade Act and was approved. Now each employee who was laid-off needs to get individually certified and approved for the Trade Act. It sounds confusing and complex but it really is not. If I get certified and I should, then my school and books and materials and anything I need for the trade school is covered 100%, no money out of my pocket. I also get to collect unemployment while going to school for up to 104 weeks. I know to some it sounds as if I am being a derilict but if I can collect unemployment while going to school then it makes my life easier than having to go to school and work.

The school I am going to is not requiring these questions to be answered the Trade Act(NAFTA) people are. I am trying to get these questions answered as thouroughly as possible so that all my paperwork is complete and I get approved as soon as possible. I hope this answers a few questions anyone may have and if anyone would like to answer these questions for me that would help me out greatly. Thanks for your help! I truly appreciate it.

Trev

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
test

1. Depending on the plumber's ability, whatever the customer needs.
2. There may not be any typical days.
3. Knowledge of the codes, able to analyze and solve problems, and a cheerful attitude.
4. Learning as much as possible about anything he encounters. A good scholl will teach the things you do not normally encounter with on the job training, such as how to use surveying tools, and various uncommon mechanical devices.
5. Not too relevent, other than a good knowledge of math and hydraulics is helpful
6. Willing to work and put in a full day's effort. Reliable, (not off every Monday).
7. Strictly dependent on what your abilities are and what kind of company you are working for.
8. If you go union that will be predetermined but it is a given that it will be very small at the start.
9. If you decide to do new construction, then for housing you have to go where the population is increasing. For commercial work you have to go to the industrial areas or where commerce is growing. For service work, if you are good at it, you can work anywhere.
10. Increasing because the existing plumbers are getting older and fewer young people want to "work".
11. Know why you want to get into this field, and not just for the money, otherwise you will never like your job and will be miserable long after you reach the point where you could have quit and started a different profession.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks