Plumbing sounds like a sick animal...

Users who are viewing this thread

TexasBuckeye

Reaction score
We have noticed a weird sound (my wife says it sounds like a sick cow) in our Master Bath lately. It happens whenever we flush a toilet, or run the tub, so I think it most likely is a supply problem, not a drain problem.

While the sound appears to happen only in our Master Bath, it does happen whenever we run water, flush a toilet, run the washing machine, etc in other parts of the house. The strange thing is that the sounds only happens when the water stops running, when the toilet tank is completely refilled and the water stops, the washing machine/dishwasher/etc stop using the water. Its like the water supply line is making the noise.

The interesting thing is that we recently had our waste grinder (required to pump all waste to the sewer system as our house is below road level) go out and the noise seems to have started about the same time as the repair was completed. While this is probably a coincidence, it is worth noting.

We feel as if we were taken advantage of by the repair plumber & electrician during this repair/replacement of the grinder (to the amount of $3,000), thus my posting here.

Please help.

Thanks,
Kevin aka TexasBuckeye

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like you might just have a bad fill valve on the toilet. Shut it off and see if the sound stops.

If you did indeed have a grinder pump and not an ejector pump replaced the $3000 is nowhere near being out of line. 2/3+ of the cost may have been parts alone.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Is this in a manufactured home? It sounds like the sound made by an air admittance valve. Running water pulls air through the diaphragm, creating the sound - usually as soon as you shut off the water.

TexasBuckeye

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

So as continue to try to figure out the problem, we have noticed that the sound now happens when you run the water (stop running it actually) in other parts of the house. I noticed this when my wife was washing dishes in the kitchen while I was in the master bath. Whenever she would turn off the water (in the kitchen sink), the noise could be heard in the master bath.

A couple of other notes, the house is only 7 1/2 years old. It is a "custom-built" home and has 4 baths as well as the standard dishwasher, clothes washer, etc.

As for the grinder pump job, thanks for the feedback. Our main concern was that the plumber was only at the job site for 4 hours one day and charged us for a full 8 hour day, claiming that he spent the other half of the day getting parts.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As for the grinder pump job, thanks for the feedback. Our main concern was that the plumber was only at the job site for 4 hours one day and charged us for a full 8 hour day, claiming that he spent the other half of the day getting parts.

Yea, I understand. He probably did have a bunch of time spent finding the right pump. I recall the last one I was working on. I had told the customer our labor price and what the approx cost of locating and buying the right size would be. I was on the phone trying to find who had the right one when the customer called and cancelled... "I was too expensive" Yippy Skippy! That made my day! Sure saved me a bunch of time and headache! I'll let the cheaper guy do it... I was going to take a beating myself!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks