Plumbing sink with no overflow. Please help

Users who are viewing this thread

timcanton

Reaction score
Hey yall,

I bought and installed a cultured marble vanity sink but it has no overflow on the sink. When I install the pop up assembly it leaks very slowly down the threads under the big rubber washer because water gets out of the overflow holes. What's the correct answer for this? Do I just have a lose connection or do I need an assembly with no overflow? It seems even with an overflow this would be an issue because the water sits on top of the rubber washer and slips down the threads?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Common problem...smear some pipe dope on the threads prior to screwing on the clamping nut. Make sure you choose a non-staining version or it might stain the cultured marble.

timcanton

Reaction score

timcanton

Reaction score
Common problem...smear some pipe dope on the threads prior to screwing on the clamping nut. Make sure you choose a non-staining version or it might stain the cultured marble.
I thought of that but will that really stop it? It slip out the over flow holes and sits on the rubber washer. If I seal the nut doesn't just leak above the nut somewhere? The water is draining down the threads past the rubber washer. Thanks!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Right but my sink has no overflow so the holes just let water out to sit on the rubber washer
If you have no overflow holes, you should have used a drain with no overflow holes. They are widely available.

timcanton

Reaction score
If you have no overflow holes, you should have used a drain with no overflow holes. They are widely available.
They don't seem too readily available at big box stores( I live quite rurally so that's all that's close). Without being plastic which is whole other issue. I can order one if that's the solution . It just seems like a sink with overflow would leak the same way no?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The problem is NOT the "overflow holes", it is the rubber seal leaking, which would happen even if your sink DID have an overflow, because it is not being installed properly.

timcanton

Reaction score
The problem is NOT the "overflow holes", it is the rubber seal leaking, which would happen even if your sink DID have an overflow, because it is not being installed properly.
That's what I thought. I guess my question is how does that rubber washer stop water from trickling down the threads of the pipe Does the rubber washer seal that tight against the threads? Washer was tight against the bottom of the sink is not leaking there just down the threadd below The compression nut

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you try what I said? Pipe dope is designed to seal between threads. If you prefer, rub some plumber's putty on the threads, then tighten it up...you don't want big globs, just enough to fill in between the threads of the pipe and the nut. Too much, and you'll likely have problems with the rubber gasket.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks