Plumbing reversed on Kinetico water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

RMB

Reaction score
I just purchased a home with a Kinetico water softener. The unit has arrows showing where the hard water should enter and the soft water should exit. This unit was plumbed backwards. The hard water enters on the side with the arrow pointing out from the unit. Can a water softener function in reverse? Will it damage the unit?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
It will work, but not as good as it should and the meter will wish to turn the wrong way.
The upper baskets that the unit has should keep the resin from going into the house, but either way one looks at it , the plumbing needs to be changed so that the water flows through the unit like it should.

RMB

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I have noticed another issue with the softener. At least once a day it pumps water down the drain (I assume this is the regeneration cycle). While it is doing this, there is no water available in the house. All faucets lose pressure and we have to wait for the softener to finish. Could this be related to the reversed plumbing, or is there another problem?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get the plumbing fixed and then see if the pressure is still low when the system goes into a regen.

Chevy427

Reaction score
I just purchased a home with a Kinetico water softener. The unit has arrows showing where the hard water should enter and the soft water should exit. This unit was plumbed backwards. The hard water enters on the side with the arrow pointing out from the unit. Can a water softener function in reverse? Will it damage the unit?

What type of bypass do you? Is it a Kinetico bypass with a grey handle?

RMB

Reaction score
Yes. I just reversed them and did the manual regeneration. While the 1st tank was regenerating, I lost all water pressure to the faucets. During regeneration of the 2nd tank, the pressure remained fine for the faucets.

RMB

Reaction score
Have you tried any more regenerations?

I have done 3 regenerations on each side of the valve. One side loses most water pressure during the regeneration. There is a slow stream from the faucets. The other side doesn't affect water pressure at the faucets during regeneration.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The media in that tank is most likely more impacted by the lack of cleaning or that there is some thing plugging the in and out for that tank with in the head of the system.

If the repeated cleanings of that tank has not changed the flow and pressure through that tank then there is going to be the need to open that side up and do some extra cleaning to remove the plug.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
What type of bypass do you? Is it a Kinetico bypass with a grey handle?

Andy, he already answered the question two days ago... and now again last night. He has the grey Kinetico by pass valve.

Now you could have, and should have told him days ago as to why having the grey one is important to him just in case he had the grey one, instead of allowing him to mistakenly think it was plumbed backwards and to change the plumbing and it still not work right.

RMB

Reaction score
Andy, he already answered the question two days ago... and now again last night. He has the grey Kinetico by pass valve.

Now you could have, and should have told him days ago as to why having the grey one is important to him just in case he had the grey one, instead of allowing him to mistakenly think it was plumbed backwards and to change the plumbing and it still not work right.

Do you want to tell me why having the grey one is important and why I mistakenly thought it was plumbed backwards?

RMB

Reaction score
I removed the bypass valve. The inner ring shows "inlet B." The valve handle points up away from the tanks. With this setting, does the water cross over at the bypass valve? Does that mean it was plumbed correctly and now I have reversed it? I can post a picture if it would be helpful.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would be interestd in HOW you decided it was backwards in the first place, unless the piping is exposed and you could trace it from the meter to the IN, or OUT, port on the softener. Since Kineticos are usually ONLY installed by their professional technicians, it would be unusual for them to make that mistake. If it was, the water flowing through the mineral bed backwards could create any number of weird conditions.

Last edited:

Chevy427

Reaction score
I removed the bypass valve. The inner ring shows "inlet B." The valve handle points up away from the tanks. With this setting, does the water cross over at the bypass valve? Does that mean it was plcorrectly and now I have reversed it? I can post a picture if it would be helpful.

That valve is versatile in that you can reverse the flow depending on the direction of you incoming water. From top right to left to bottom right to left you have ports A-B-C-D. On the grey handle it will say either A-C or B-C. B-C water criss-crosses and A=C is straight down. Simple remove the screw in the handle. pull off the handle and take off that ring and reverse it. This is a common mistake when people move their softener.

The newer valves can also do A-D and B-D if the mount your by-pass facing to the rear of the softener instead of the front.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Do you want to tell me why having the grey one is important and why I mistakenly thought it was plumbed backwards?
I wish I could have but I don't know Kinetico that well; but Andy (Water Solutions) does because he's a Kinetico salesman. I did think I had heard of a Kinetico BP valve that could be reversed but I wasn't sure.

We'll see if Andy helps you more than describing the operation of the BP valve or not.

RMB

Reaction score
I would be interestd in HOW you decided it was backwards in the first place, unless the piping is exposed and you could trace it from the meter to the IN, or OUT, port on the softener. Since Kineticos are usually ONLY installed by their professional technicians, it would be unusual for them to make that mistake. If it was, the water flowing through the mineral bed backwards could create any number of weird conditions.

I was incorrect that the plumbing was backwards because I didn't realize there was a crossover at the bypass valve. I can see the plumbing coming into the water softener. It comes from the direction of the shutoff valve and goes to what I now know is the B side of the Kinetico valve. The other pipe has a T with one side going to the cold inlet on the water heater and the other going off in the direction of the rest of the house.

This time I disconnected the water softener and did what I should have done the first time. I put a bucket under the pipes and turned the bypass valve to Service. That way I saw that the water was crossing over in the bypass valve. The softener is now back to being plumbed correctly.

This still doesn't solve the loss of water pressure. I will regenerate it a few times today and see if it gets any better.

RMB

Reaction score
That valve is versatile in that you can reverse the flow depending on the direction of you incoming water. From top right to left to bottom right to left you have ports A-B-C-D. On the grey handle it will say either A-C or B-C. B-C water criss-crosses and A=C is straight down. Simple remove the screw in the handle. pull off the handle and take off that ring and reverse it. This is a common mistake when people move their softener.

The newer valves can also do A-D and B-D if the mount your by-pass facing to the rear of the softener instead of the front.

I had noticed the B-C on the handle but had no idea what it meant. I got a flashlight to look at the valve more closely. The top left is A, top right is B, bottom left is C, bottom right is D.

Does Kinetico have a manual that explains some of these things. They are obvious if you know what you are looking for, but I would never have noticed the letters on the valves if you hadn't pointed them out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks