Plumbing Remodeled Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

gedmeyer

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm remodeling a bathroom which involved relocating the toilet and shower and also moving a wall about 12". A vertical waste stack formerly resided in the wall that was moved. The toilet used to be against this wall and drained directly into the stack.

I'm working on a new plumbing plan and could really use a nudge. Attached is a work-in-progress edition of my plan. I'm in NYS, under IPC. The house is a ranch w/ full basement access.

Questions:
1. Am I heading in the right direction? (Is this an efficient layout) The sketched horizontal branch would run along a foundation wall.
2. I think the lav and shower/bath vents are straightforward. What about the toilet? Can the LAV be considered a wet vent for the toilet, if it's run w/ 2"?
3. Does the vertical stack need a stack vent? If so, is offset permitted (there is a 2x6, non-load bearing wall, about 16" away)

There are 3 other waste stacks for the house system.

Help is tremendously appreciated.
IMG_20161221_111439580.jpg

Last edited:

gedmeyer

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the toilet is wet venting to the sink in my new drawing ( I altered the direction the toilet drain is routed to shorten the wet vent distance). Can someone confirm?

Also, I took a stab at a method to tie into the stack with all of the drains. Does this work? Also, does the stack need to be vented?

Help is appreciated!

IMG_20161228_145117802.jpg

gedmeyer

Reaction score
Perhaps I should have introduced myself first...

My name is Tim, I am a mechanical engineer from upstate New York. My wife and I recently purchased a big renovation project house. We've brought in a few subs on projects where necessary, but there is lots we are taking on ourselves. This includes reconfiguring the aforementioned bathroom.

I have spent a fair amount of time doing homework and reading the code books, so I think I'm close!

MKS

Reaction score
From my reading here. The vent for this bathroom needs to be two inch from the top of the sanitees through the roof.
The wet vent drain needs to be three inch. Not sure about venting the waste stack. If the devices draining into this stack are properly vented my feeling is no. I might try to attach the tub drain to the three inch horizontal before the stack the long sweep 90 into stack.
Here is a description of vent stack.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/vent-stack-vs-stack-vent.21900/

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Not surewhat kind of structural restrictions you have, but I would turn the closet bend 90 degrees to eliminate the 180 degree turn in the 3" line. The wet vent from the vanity needs to a 2" line, and can tie into the 3" line with a wye and 1/8 bend or combo fitting. The cleanout for the vanity would normally go under it on the same floor, but if it is easily accessible from the floor below, that is fine. If each fixture has a vent, there is no reason to add another vent on the stack.

gedmeyer

Reaction score
Ok, so it sounds like my first diagram is a better configuration because it keeps the 3" line straighter. Is is undesirable that the wet vent between the wc and lav is going to be greater than 6ft? I know I am under IRC, which has no vent length restriction for WCs. Would I be violating preferred practice?

The bath drain is nearly in line with the vertical stack, so tying the bath drain into the horizontal 3" section would require funky angles. I suspect it will be easiest to tie this into the vertical stack separately from the 3" WC and lav branch. Any issues with this?

Also, I'm in the Northeast, so I believe I need a 3" pipe through the roof. Do I require a specific fitting to change my 2" vent to a 3" in the attic?

Tim

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The issue with the first diagram is with the dead length of pipe required for the cleanout, and that the wet vent connection needs to be downstream of the of the WC. The lavatory does not have the flow required to scour that section of 3" line, thus it will be a point of future problems,

gedmeyer

Reaction score
Is it a code requirement that wet vents must be downstream from WCs?

Last edited:

gedmeyer

Reaction score
Here's a new schematic, w/ the lav drain down stream of the WC. Thoughts? The total wet vent length through the lav is around 10-16 ft.

IMG_20170102_212813919.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If it could be done, I would push the lav drain out into the same joist bay as the closet bend to reduce the distance to the connection. If structure allowsm you coukd also move the stack over in the wall to a mid-point between the fixtures, and then re-vent the lav to the stack.

gedmeyer

Reaction score
If it could be done, I would push the lav drain out into the same joist bay as the closet bend to reduce the distance to the connection. If structure allowsm you coukd also move the stack over in the wall to a mid-point between the fixtures, and then re-vent the lav to the stack.

Would it make more sense to give the WC it's own dry vent?

Moving the stack isn't really a great option, I think it just causes a different set of issues. I'm considering adding a dry vent to the stack (will require a 45 degree to get the vent into a 2x6 interior wall). I would then tie my fixture vents into this, within the attic.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the structure allows you to dry vent the WC, it would be better. You may tie the vents together in the wall or in the attic.

gedmeyer

Reaction score
If I wet vent the WC through the Lav or shower, does the dry vent for these fixtures need to be 2" instead of 1.5"?

gedmeyer

Reaction score
I'm confused by whether the WC needs to be upstream or downstream of the wet vent. I'm under IPC, but want a robust design.

Is this an acceptable wet vent layout? It works well with my structural restrictions and existing plumbing connections.

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_20170127_134334164.jpg
    IMG_20170127_134334164.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 213
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks