Plumbing question

Users who are viewing this thread

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Our cabinets are not ready but I wondered about having the plumber come out and work on the pipes for sink area and maybe hooking back the old sink for use. Some say they won't do this work until cabinets are installed which does not make sense. What is the proper procedure? Does he have to see my new sink and faucets or can I give specs? I don't have the faucet yet but will pick up my new sink soon.

Experts can you walk me through this so I don't look like a fool when I call Mr. Plumber in? Thanks:)

Hardt

Reaction score
I am not a plumber so my only qualification is that I recently had all our kitchen cabinets replaced with custom built cabinets and I did the demolition, plumbing, painting and electrical work. I am a little puzzled by the statement "Some say they (the plumber) won't do this work until cabinets are installed which does not make sense." Are the new cabinets relocated so that in-the-wall plumbing has to be completed before the cabinet/sink are installed? In my case, the new cabinets are in the same place as the old. Just before the new cabinets were to be installed, and as part of the demolition of the old cabinets, I removed the flexible supply pipes from the shut-off valves. After the new cabinets were installed, I installed new supply pipes, faucet and sink. Being a member of this site, you probably have the skills to do the same.

Hmm, what I wrote seems like a no-brainer. Possibly I am not understanding your problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

If he is any kind of plumber, you will not have to tell him anything, except what you want done, unless you are going to use some special sized sink. He will do whatever you want to pay him for, even connecting the old sink back until you get the new one.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Our cabinets are not ready so nothing is installed yet. This plumber says we should wait to have cabinets installed and then call him. I wanted the pipes worked on and maybe have the wall fixed in the back of the sink if there is any damage before new cabs come in.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your plumber should move the lines NOW if needed for later. Also he should be able to Temp hook-up your old sink so you have some water/cleaning ability .

He's being lazy .

Cal

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Tell him you will hire a different plumber if he doesn't want to do it. You need to tell him also that you realize it is an extra charge so he doesn't think you are trying to get sometrhing for nothing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

You definitely want him to make any piping changes before the cabinets arrive so the walls can be repaired if necessary. The sink might need a temporary framework to support it, but we have done that many times.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
What kind of frame work would the sink need so I won't be without one for 6 weeks? Our countertop place is back ordered several weeks and they told me it could take about 5-6 weeks. If I keep my old countertop area that's over the 36" sink base, could that fit over the new 36" sink base?:confused:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hmmm... unless things are done differently in the rest of the world...around here the plumbing is put in all new construction before cabinets are installed..then the supply lines are connected to the sinks after they are installed. Stops (a.k.a. supply line valves) may be added before or after cabinets....kinda just depends on the mood the plumber and cabinet person is in.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
I have done too many 'after the fact' kitchen remodels. Sure, the poor customer is just trying to do things right, but they usually get some bad info along the way.

The fact is, that during alot of kitchen remodels (where the sink is staying in the same spot), the plumber is the last one on the job. Usually, the only reason we even get there is that the cabinet guy can't make the new setup work. Few and far between are the jobs where the plumber is seen to be integral to the remodel, unless it's rather significant.

I remember one job in particular. An individual had new cabinets and countertops installed. Looked beautiful, nice granite countertops with undermount sinks. Probably dropped a good $30K in the kitchen. Only problem was that the drain was about 6" too high.

So, the cabinet-fool was nice enough to trim-out all the plumbing for the sink: the dishmachine, the r.o. system, faucet and disposal. He left the customer saying "I don't have the part for hooking up the drain, so call a plumber. It won't take long."

The guy should have been a comedian.

Well, 7 hours and $1200+ later the customer had a sink they could use. It was the day before Thanksgiving and it needed to be done. If they had called before 2pm, it would have been cheaper.

Every problem imaginable: waste piping was lead, rusted out flat galvanized vent, hole for sink drain (in plate) also used as an access for electical wiring installed with the remodel.

What would have been a 2 hour/~$350 job without the cabinets installed became that.

So, yeah, having a plumber come out, even to say 'Yep, looks like it'll work' can save you quite a bit in such circumstances.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
I agree with you on this one. Cabinet install folks say wait until they get done for the plumber, but I keep insisting it's easier for the guy to see what's behind my old cabs now than when the new ones are in and he has to crawl under. That's what I did with my small bathroom. I ripped out the old vanity and left everything open for Mr. Plumber. He said that his price would have been higher if he had to crawl into such a tiny space inside a 30" vanity:D Can't say that I blame him.

Dubladare, I must be different then. For me, my plumber and electrician are super important. Those cabinet guys like to think they're smart:p

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Agree with dubldare.

If your new cabinits have a back on them you want the plumbing ready as far as in the wall is concerned so there will only need to be holes for water and drain cut in it and it is so much easier(less $$$) when nothing is in the way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks