Plumbing plan for new water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

CurtisYZ

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm installing a water softener in my home, which is a new build. I'm having trouble planning out where to put the softener and how to run the plumbing. The line that needs to be sent to the softener is the middle line in the picture. I'm not sure if I should try to go around the lines on either side, then go behind the PVC drain pipe to the softener location. You can also see that I have a grounding rod on the right, so I don't think I want to put the softener next to that. I could also go straight from the wall and put the softener on the other side of the floor drain, but I don't love the idea of not having the softener against the wall. I don't have a ton of plumbing experience, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

20170411_214458.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
The line that needs to be sent to the softener is the middle line in the picture. I'm not sure if I should try to go around the lines on either side, then go behind the PVC drain pipe to the softener location. You can also see that I have a grounding rod on the right, so I don't think I want to put the softener next to that.

Do you mean the middle vertical PEX pipe?

Keep access to the water meter, and the cleanout.

I don't see a problem with the softener by the ground.

Is this a cabinet type softener, where there is not a separate brine tank. Will the drain line drain to the floor drain?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
First, get a good softener. Ditch the Kmart unit.

Pex plumbing is extremely easy to hook up to. Just be careful, even a small amount of stress on the system will cause a crack in the bypass area of that unit.

Agreed on the ground, it does not need regular access, and if you had a two piece system, it would be very easy to move the salt tank in the future for access. The grounding rod should be inspected periodically for corossion and to make sure the connection is still tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks