Plumbing license info needed

Users who are viewing this thread

jimang22

Reaction score
hello.
I live in Ohio and was wondering if any one can help. I work for a plumbing contractor for 5 to 6 years and butted heads and quite couple years ago. sense then i have done lots of side jobs in the plumbing field and have got my gas line license and all my drain machines and now i want to get my plumbing license soon. there are no schools out here so can any one tell me how to go about this or what i need to do. anything will help thank you

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Ohio

If you live in Ohio, you should send a e-mail note to CASS or Rugged
and ask them about what is involved.....

I think that they both work in Kentucky and Ohio too

All you got to do in Indiana is show lots of butt crack
and you have qualified for an apprentice license.

if you claim that you have dated your sister, you automatically
get placed in the second year advanced class....

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
The way I hear it, the license doesn't matter over there because everything is now a contractor's license. $300 you get a book and an open book test, 10 hours of recurring study a year. Get bonded and you're an instant tradesmen without education. :mad:

The handyman can do plumbing, pull permits just like an electrician can do hvac from what I hear.

I got robbed out of getting my masters in ohio because of that bull****.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Rugged ...where is "over there mean"???

Rugged ....
are you talking about Indiana or Ohio???

I was wondering about that in our state, because a couple
of losers I know claim to have their "contractors " lisc here......

and it seemed impossible that they could actually pass
a test

TMB9862

Reaction score
In NY you have to have worked for a plumber for seven years then you need to pass two tests. Their is a written where you have to answer questions about code and design a couple systems. Then their is a practical where you have to solder pipe, joint ABS, pour a lead joint, do a lead wipe, and a few other things. The seven years is probably broken down into hours doing different jobs but I don't know the breakdown. Their are courses but they're voluntary and more suited for a homeowner looking to do a bath remodel. Basically you learn how to sweat pipe, joint PVC, etc. The only way to get into an apprenticeship program is to get into the union that does a five year school program before you get your journeyman's card which is worthless outside the union since such a thing doesn't exist in NYS.

To get a contractor license good for building houses, doing extensions, etc all you need is to be bonded, go to the county office, pay $200 and you have your license for two years. The only thing you can't do under that license is plumbing, electric, HVAC, and chemical spraying. You can do construction, painting, insulation, landscaping, etc. Those limitations rarely stop contractors from doing plumbing and electric themselves to save a couple bucks though. I need to get a couple pictures of what the contractors did at my girlfriends house, jumping the pipe under and above the floor joists in the basement a couple times effectively creating a couple extra traps.

jimang22

Reaction score
ok. I look at the Ohio.gov and was look at there plumber license and it says i need 5 years of work with a company is the way i am taking it. so is that saying if i can find someone to sign saying i volunteered my time? right now i have a drain and gas line company and want to advertise plumbing repair then later down the road be able to pull permits but I don't want to go union not that there is anything wrong but don't want to do a 5 apprenticeship program because of my work now i can quite and do that for 5 years. just need to know if there are any loop holes in to getting to take the test. Years ago allot of plumbers around here got grandfathered in to there license. thank you

TMB9862

Reaction score
ok. I look at the Ohio.gov and was look at there plumber license and it says i need 5 years of work with a company is the way i am taking it. so is that saying if i can find someone to sign saying i volunteered my time?right now i have a drain and gas line company and want to advertise plumbing repair then later down the road be able to pull permits but i don't want to go union not that there is anything wrong but don't want to do a 5 apprenticeship program because of my work now i can quite and do that for 5 years. just need to know if there are any loop holes in to getting to take the test. Years ago allot of plumbers around here got grandfathered in to there license. thank you

You need to call up the licensing department and ask. You probably have to contact the guy you worked for and get him to sign off that you worked there. He probably isn't legally allowed to refuse to do so. If he does refuse you may be able to just show them tax forms showing you were working for a plumbing company for five years. If you worked off the books and he refuses to sign you're SOL. They will not buy that you volunteered to work as a plumbers assistant for five years.

spaceman

Reaction score
ok. I look at the Ohio.gov and was look at there plumber license and it says i need 5 years of work with a company is the way i am taking it. so is that saying if i can find someone to sign saying i volunteered my time?right now i have a drain and gas line company and want to advertise plumbing repair then later down the road be able to pull permits but i don't want to go union not that there is anything wrong but don't want to do a 5 apprenticeship program because of my work now i can quite and do that for 5 years. just need to know if there are any loop holes in to getting to take the test. Years ago allot of plumbers around here got grandfathered in to there license. thank you

Ok, so I'm in Ohio and would like to know exactly when the MASTERS PLUMBERS LICENSE went into this Ohio contractor jazz, was this in the late 90's? I heard guys say that it was being talked about in the early mid 80's and you are correct alot of guys did get "grandfathered" in and some did not (D.V.)... in the county you could pull a plumbing permit with being bonded and insured, except for the city of Cincinnati or norwood and Oakley ,now over the summer i heard that like 2 0r 3 years ago that now you have to hold a "Ohio state contractors license" in order to pull a permit in the county, even if you have a journeyman's license in the city you still can't pull a permit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
I took the Indiana State plumbing test, it's a real SOB!! Lots of Hands on exam. I'm in Arizona now, I think all you have to do here is answer some questions and if you guess right you can be a plumber even if you can't spell it! As far as I know, in Indiana, you still have to pour a lead joint with the bell and spigot drain pipe too. Seems outdated to me. But the Duriron acid drain systems are still installed in research buildings today too, they require a lead joint.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
test

What WE think or tell you is irrelevant. You have to call the Ohio licensing department and ask THEM what the requirements are. Usually they want to see "paystubs" for the five years experience, not your "brother in law" saying that you did plumbing for him all that time but never charged him for it. since you will not be working for someone else, you will probably also need a contractor's license besides the journeyman one, which would be a different test, with the requirement for a "business tax license", liability insurance, possibly workman's compensation insurance, and maybe a "bond". Going into business is not just about cashing checks.

spaceman

Reaction score
I took the Indiana State plumbing test, it's a real SOB!! Lots of Hands on exam. I'm in Arizona now, I think all you have to do here is answer some questions and if you guess right you can be a plumber even if you can't spell it! As far as I know, in Indiana, you still have to pour a lead joint with the bell and spigot drain pipe too. Seems outdated to me. But the Duriron acid drain systems are still installed in research buildings today too, they require a lead joint.

im in OHIO

yes indeed HOOKT ONN FONIX RILLY WERKT FER MEE!!!

spaceman

Reaction score
What WE think or tell you is irrelevant. You have to call the Ohio licensing department and ask THEM what the requirements are. Usually they want to see "paystubs" for the five years experience, not your "brother in law" saying that you did plumbing for him all that time but never charged him for it. since you will not be working for someone else, you will probably also need a contractor's license besides the journeyman one, which would be a different test, with the requirement for a "business tax license", liability insurance, possibly workman's compensation insurance, and maybe a "bond". Going into business is not just about cashing checks.

understood, but I was wanting to find a Ohio or Cincinnati plumber which i understand there are some in this forum to clarify when the masters license was out and the contractors license came into effect, you could say I'm wanting to know for my own personal amusement, HJ as far as the rest of the info you had stated that should be targeted to the original poster not me as i already know all of what you said. (Just wanted to know the masters / contractors part....................

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks