PLUMBING - Kitchen Sink?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Jimmods, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Jimmods

Jimmods New Member

My kitchen sink quit running, and even backed up into the dishwasher making it overflow. We took off the U pipe and other pipes under the sink ... all the way to the wall. It was full of thick sticky gunk. Cleaned that out ... but how do I get the stuff still left in the rest of the pipes? Drain is still running really slow and backing up.
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

The drain in the wall needs to (snaked) out either from a clean out in the basement or from under the sink at the wall.
  3. JerryR

JerryR Member

The thick sticky stuff is probably built up grease. A safe product that works to keep the pipes clean is BIO-CLEAN

Depending on how much build up you have it may or not work to break through the clog. It's worth a try but it takes several overnight applications to show progress. DO NOT USE any product like liquid plumber or draino. It's very caustic.

I use Bio-Clean monthly as a preventative after I had a similar kitchen sink clog in a newly purchased house. It had black sticky stuff where I could get to it but the clog was further down the line. My plumber came out with his industrial Strenght snake and punched through the clog about 30 feet into the pipe. He came out with chunks of looked like rocks that he said was congealed fat.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  4. SHR

SHR Member

After clearing your clog fix the dishwasher installation. I bet it was not installed correctly or else the sink would rarely back up in to the dishwasher. Leaving the dishwasher drain hose connected on both ends, under your sink grasp the dishwasher drain hose and push it up to the the back of the sink base cabinet right below the countertop and secure it there. This will create a high loop that the sink water will only flow into if the sink overflows on to the the countertop and floor-a rare occurrence.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; This will create a high loop that the sink water will only flow into if the sink overflows on to the the countertop and floor-a rare occurrence.

Correction. It will only flow into the dishwasher, IF the water in the sink is above the level of the "high loop". Since the high loop is UNDER the countertop, it will backflow before the sink overflows onto the floor.