Plumbing Kitchen Sink. Need Advice on Waste Line.

Users who are viewing this thread

LeeMac

Reaction score
Hi folks. My wife and I purchased a home recently, which means I am a new DIY'er! I am about to plumb our kitchen sink. After watching videos, and reading a few too many articles I feel well prepared with one exception. I'm having trouble figuring out how to attach the proper adapter to the kitchen sink waste line that comes out of the wall.

A contractor we hired to remove/install kitchen cabinets cut off the drain pipe about ~1 inch or less from the wall. At the time, he mentioned being able to put an adapter on the pipe, and seemed like it wasn't a big deal. I never inquired further about it. The pipe is PVC, and it looks like two pipes that have been cemented together. The outside diameter is 2 3/4'', with the inside being 2''. For the new plumbing that's going in, I've purchased new 1 1/2'' PVC pipe.

My question is, how should I best approach attaching an adapter or coupling to my waste pipe in the wall? I'm having trouble identifying a good solution here. Being new to all of this, I want to make sure I get it right.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you!

LeeMac

Reaction score
I am following this topic as I am interested in this forum.

Appreciate it Mike. I'll keep that in mind. I'd like to solve this on my own so I can save some money.

I'll take a picture of the pipe and post it in the thread later today. I should have done that in the first place. A picture is worth a thousand words...

LeeMac

Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures of the waste line. Hopefully this helps better show what I'm after. I'm looking to attach some kind of adapter or coupling, and eventually a reducer, to get the pipe size down to 1 1/2" for the rest of the plumbing. The outside diameter of the pipe is 2 3/4", and the inside diameter 2 1/4".

Thanks!

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 305
  • pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 288

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The pipe size there will be the ID size.
They may pipe reamers that cut out that portion of the pipe that is glued in the hub of the fitting.
I use something like this. They come in all sizes.

reed-pipe-reamer-1.jpg

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your contractor is stupid. He should of left at least 1 inch of pipe sticking out of the fitting. But he cut the pipe flush with the fitting. They do make a hub by 1 1/2 pipe rubber clamp. But u would have to cut a bigger hole around the pipe

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Boy, I hate subs who have zero regards for other subs who come to complete their mess !!!

LeeMac

Reaction score
Terry and plumber69, thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

One follow up question. I gave an incorrect measurement before. The ID is actually 2". What about the possibility using a 2" slip coupling? That would give me something to work with coming out of the waste pipe. I've tried to read a little about the idea, and I've seen mixed feedback across several forums. Probably isn't the best idea, but I wanted to float it out there anyway.

Thanks again.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
They make a fitting for everything. You already have an ugly hole. Cut the hole to the right more. Take a hacksaw blade cut the pipe put a new 90 degree fitting on. If ur worried about looks. Get a nice piece of plywood. Drill a hole in it and screw it on. Cover the mess up

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Just use a "socket saver" (aka Ram Bit) like Terry suggested to drill out the stub of pipe in the fitting; problem solved.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is NOTHING that will attach to what you have there and make a proper connection. You have to remove the pipe stub from the hub before you can do anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks