Plumbing inspector problem in NJ

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by plumbernj, May 22, 2008.

1. plumbernj

plumbernj In the Trades

Aug 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    So I pulled a permit for an electric water heater REPLACEMENT in a small southern NJ town... now he wants me to get an electrical permit too. Just to connect two wires. I told him no other town that I have pulled permits for ever wanted an electrical permit for a replacement electric water heater.
    He told me that it is in the "rehab code" which I am not familiar with.
    Anyone ever have this problem before?
  2. cybervex

cybervex New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    IT Systems Administrator
    Southfield, MI
    The economy is bad they need the extra coin!
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. rombo

rombo New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I am surprised you even pulled a permit to replace a tank. I have never done that or even has it crossed my mind
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Dec 15, 2007
    Service Plumber
    The Soprano's was filmed in New Jersey... Catch my drift?:eek:
  6. Garydaplummer

Garydaplummer Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed

Jan 5, 2008
    Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    The big money grab

Here if it is electric the city wants you to get a plumbing permit (issued only to licensed master plumbers) but if it's oil or gas-fired you need to get the plumbing permit plus a $25 fire protection permit. If it needs a new electric line run to it that requires an electrical permit with a third party inspector, and is only to be installed by a city licensed master electrician. Little wonder the city's full of unletterd white vans sneaking around to do the work.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

Now you know why most plumbers do not get permits for replacing heaters, besides the cost and added time to do it.