Plumbing inspector problem in NJ

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by plumbernj, May 22, 2008.

1. plumbernj

plumbernj In the Trades

So I pulled a permit for an electric water heater REPLACEMENT in a small southern NJ town... now he wants me to get an electrical permit too. Just to connect two wires. I told him no other town that I have pulled permits for ever wanted an electrical permit for a replacement electric water heater.
    He told me that it is in the "rehab code" which I am not familiar with.
    Anyone ever have this problem before?
  2. cybervex

cybervex New Member

The economy is bad they need the extra coin!
  3. rombo

rombo New Member

I am surprised you even pulled a permit to replace a tank. I have never done that or even has it crossed my mind
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

The Soprano's was filmed in New Jersey... Catch my drift?:eek:
  5. Garydaplummer

Garydaplummer Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed

The big money grab

Here if it is electric the city wants you to get a plumbing permit (issued only to licensed master plumbers) but if it's oil or gas-fired you need to get the plumbing permit plus a $25 fire protection permit. If it needs a new electric line run to it that requires an electrical permit with a third party inspector, and is only to be installed by a city licensed master electrician. Little wonder the city's full of unletterd white vans sneaking around to do the work.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

Now you know why most plumbers do not get permits for replacing heaters, besides the cost and added time to do it.