Plumbing inspection Failed!! Please Help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally run along a wall, and then jump up and into the bay spaces between floor joists.
That way I'm not boxing in the center of the room, but along a wall. They do that for heating ducts all the time,and I do it for plumbing too.

I don't cross joists with 3" pipes.
And if they are only 2x8, I don't cross even with 2"
Waste grades down at 1/4" per foot, which makes running with joists leaving you will even less room for drop.

Many times in dining rooms we will box out around the room on all four walls.
We may be hiding ducts or pipes on some of the walls, but if we box all four walls at the ceiling, it looks like we planned it.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The framers have framing axes and nail guns. It's not even a fair fight.

That's an inspired comment that elicited a giggle.

I would point out, though, that you have hot flame, lead, and oakum. Which would permit you to "Go Medieval" on them. I think it would at least slow them down.

Woodsy

Reaction score
When I lay out a plumbing system I like to play connect the dots on paper to view my options. I make an overview drawing of the whole group of fixtures and make a simple dot for each fixture and each pipe that goes vertically down into floor space then I make a simple abbreviation next to each dot representing what it is. All the dots are spaced on paper according to what your looking at, very simple and fun. Also a dot is drawn for the main/whatever your tying into. Time to connect the dots my friends, This is getting more fun its like kid stuff. So, we draw a line going from the sewer main drop... to the toilets. You want to stay symmetric try to draw straight lines to get where your going making sharp turns to represent long turn 90's and 45's on the flats. The reason we go to the toilet is basically because it should be the last thing in line and all other branch connections, wyes should be down stream of the toilet with exception to the heal outlet 90's. There must be a vent downstream of the toilet, 5ft max where I'm from, It can be wet unless its a washer box. Also every branch connection off the main line must have a vent, they can be shared if the vent wye is positioned between the two fixtures and within local distance codes". A vent that has proper pitch can run forever horizontally and I mean forever as long as you do not offset you can only go straight up with a 90. You can make 90 turns on a vent or wet vent as long as you stay flat but the second you go up, you go straight up until your above flood rim at 48 inches. If you continue to draw nice lines and turns going to the rest of the fixtures with those basic strategies you should have a plan in no time. Of course you have to consider all the obstacles. As far as the inspection if the inspector came and told you the problem, and you changed it to what he wanted to see it should pass. Some inspectors are easy. Definatly a structural problem here! I would totally call a redo on that one. Damn carpenters....lol.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks