Plumbing in USA vs Europe

Users who are viewing this thread

radici

Reaction score
I searched to see if there was an answer to this question and only found a discussion on toilets.

I am living in Switzerland and would love to buy some sinks from the US to put in the new house we are building. But, my big question is, are the size of the pipes in Europe and the US different and if so are there sections that I can buy somewhere to bridge the size difference?

Thanks a lot for any answers...
Radici

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's a good question.
I have a German Grohe faucet in my main bath, built to USA specs.
Anyone here from Europe that would know?

radici

Reaction score
As a lay person I have to ask a couple of additional questions...
So, the hole where the drain goes is a size that will fit a European basket strainer - thus avoiding having to deal with thread dimensions?
I see a few sinks sold in Germany online with "Ablaufgarnitur 3 1/2" inklusive aller Ablaufverbindungen" meaning 3.5" strainer and drain connection. Does this indicate that even the basket strainer from the US does not involve the pipe threading differences US - Europe?

Thanks for the links and responses! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks