Plumbing in USA vs Europe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by radici, May 21, 2011.

1. radici

radici New Member

I searched to see if there was an answer to this question and only found a discussion on toilets.

I am living in Switzerland and would love to buy some sinks from the US to put in the new house we are building. But, my big question is, are the size of the pipes in Europe and the US different and if so are there sections that I can buy somewhere to bridge the size difference?

Thanks a lot for any answers...
    Radici
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That's a good question.
    I have a German Grohe faucet in my main bath, built to USA specs.
    Anyone here from Europe that would know?
  3. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  4. radici

radici New Member

As a lay person I have to ask a couple of additional questions...
    So, the hole where the drain goes is a size that will fit a European basket strainer - thus avoiding having to deal with thread dimensions?
    I see a few sinks sold in Germany online with "Ablaufgarnitur 3 1/2" inklusive aller Ablaufverbindungen" meaning 3.5" strainer and drain connection. Does this indicate that even the basket strainer from the US does not involve the pipe threading differences US - Europe?

Thanks for the links and responses! :)