Plumbing for toilet valve...

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by I26, Sep 23, 2007.

1. I26

I26 New Member

I needed to change out the tank components. I could not shut off the water since the valve seal was shot. I picked up a new valve and tried to use the old compressing ring hoping it would seal. Well over time it must drip. I would like to cut off the pipe behind the compression ring to install a new one but that will leave me with such a small stub I may not be able to get the coupler nut on to attach the new valve. So whats the easy way to repair this?
    I was thinking of soldering on a coupling to extend it then attach the new valve.
    I am not up on all the plumbing terms so please realize that. Any advice would be great.
  2. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

If your going to solder a coupling onto the end why not just solder on a new shut off valve. In the future you could unsolder it and replace.
  3. I26

I26 New Member

I did think of that after the fact. Still if I cut the pipe it will be awfully short, even to solder on a valve.
  4. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

A coupling and a valve have the same amount of space to solder to. One would solder on just as easy as the other.

I have seen a tool that is used to remove those rings for the compression fittings you might want to look into one. I don't know how well they work but it could be worth the try.