Plumbing Codes

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Terry, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Can the plumbers anwer this one for me?
    I'm trying to get an idea of the differences in codes we are using, and where they are being used. It may help us to come up with better help in giving better local answers to local questions.
    Terry Love

What state do you plumb in?
    Which plumbing code do you work under?
    Are there any modications to your code?

For me, the answer would be'
    Washington State
    UPC, Uniform Plumbing Code.
  2. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

I don't plumb, I design.
    Florida (obviously ;))
    2004 Florida Plumbing Code
    Strongly based on the International Plumbing Code
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

California.
    2007 California Plumbing Code (title 24 part 5 CCR) . This is based directly on the 2006 UPC

There is an 8 page matrix detailing what sections and paragraphs are adopted/ or not adopted/ by certain specific state agencies, such as State Fire Marshall, Housing and community development, correction authority, Dept of Health services, etc.

Just as an example, Ch.3, general regulations,section 301 et al materials. SFM does not accept, and adds 311.11 prohibiting exposed plasitic piping in a room, if the flame spread exceeds blah blah ASTM blah blah. This applies to facilities under the jurisdiction of the SFM: small family day care, elder care facilities. high rise stuctures, hotels, motels, apartments.

This stuff goes on and on.
  4. Herk

Herk Plumber

Idaho. UPC. There are sometimes minor modifications, such as a 3" cross allowed for back-to-back toilets. (These days, I'd like to use something else - the fast-flushing toilets could be a problem.) We're allowed the high loop under the sink for a dishwasher hookup instead of a safe waste.
  5. BAPlumber

BAPlumber Plumber

work in Oregon. use the 2003 UPC with amendments. also liscened in Washington and Idaho. All use the UPC. Oregon allows a santee on it's back for a vent connection, and the high loop for the dishwasher.
  6. KY

NPC

Air Gap Mandatory

Plumbing Principle #15

Ohio is slowly adapting to requirement of Air Gaps on dishwashers. I can only speak for the some of the counties in southern ohio. I just moonlight over there but a supply house in clermont county told me that they have to supply air gaps as they are required.

Hamilton/Butler/Warren/Franklin I'm not so sure...
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Connecticut
    IPC
    with mods.
  8. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

Hawaii
    97' Uniform Plumbing Code
    Honolulu County Ammendments
  9. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

cincinnati oh
    IPC
  10. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

Also Cincinnati, OH

IPC
  11. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

San Francisco Peninsula
    2008 Calif. Plumbing Code
    UPC with multiple exceptions
    Beware the matrix!
  12. construct30

construct30 New Member

All construction in Pennsylvania uses the 2006 International Residential Code. They passed a state wide uniform construction code act. All local codes were made illegal unless they could show cause.
  13. mthurman

mthurman New Member

Son a plumber and builder (do as much of the plumbing/mech as time allows)

Denver Colorado

IRC 2003

Quite a few in an addendum.

As I was reading about the post with the fellow who got gigged on venting the horizontal 2" run with his san-t on its back, it made me think about what code his municipality is using (or maybe recently switched from) and what the ages and experience of the two inspectors were. We just switched over to the IRC about 3 years back from the UPC and the venting has given lots of folks fits because it is different. Easier in most ways but different and different logic.

Older inspectors who were wrenches get it and offer flexibilty, particulalry on remodeling. Newer ones tend to be more by the book.
  14. Cass

Cass Plumber

Cincinnati OH

IPC
  15. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

16. ltnicks

ltnicks New Member

Wisconsin, upc
  17. nculbertgm

nculbertgm New Member

South Carolina uses the IRC