Plumbing chase thickness

Users who are viewing this thread

page 1

Reaction score
i am trying to determine whether a portion of an existing wet wall in a bathroom can be demolished or not. the bathroom is on the 6th floor of an old brick veneer building in new york city. the 6th floor is the top usable floor before the roof. a remodel was done in 2001 and all the floors below have the same floor plan. the portion of the wall on the shower control wall is 9" thick, and the portion of the wall behind the toilet and shower is 6" deep. i would like to demolish the part of the wall behind the toilet and relocate the toilet close by - about 3 feet away perpendicular to the chase wall. i am trying to get mechanical drawings but don't know if i will be successful. without demolishing the wall, can we say with certainty that a 6" wall is too think to be the through floor chase?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you go to the roof, you may find plumbing vents coming through the roof in that location. For every pipe that goes down, there is a pipe going up.

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
chase

I am not sure if I understand the question properly. A wall can be to thin to enclose any pipes. but can never be "too thick" to be a chase. You could have an entire room with a few pipes in it if you wanted to dedicate that amount of space to a chase.

page 1

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion of going to the roof. Is the vent pipe always straight up though? Could it be that it is in one location on one floor and in another location on another floor? If there is a sink, a toilet and a shower on every floor in the same location, I thought that there needed to be only one vent pipe going to the roof for all fixtures,i.e. one main drain that needs to be vented.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

All you can be sure of if the vent is out the roof in that area, is that that particular pipe comes out of the roof. It does not tell you anything about others that could be in the wall up to a point 4' above the floor and then tie into that pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks