Plumbing Around A Corner

Users who are viewing this thread

Darryl L

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and need to ask for a little help please.

I have a washer machine and sink on one wall and the drain pipe is on the wall to left of the washer and sink wall. Is this going to be an issue? I hope not as getting them both on the same wall will be next to impossible. The washer is located to the right of the sink at 5 feet. The flow will be from the washer toward the sink on the left and onto the drain pipe another 3 feet (it's just around the corner on the other wall).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does this represent what you are trying to describe? Are you wanting to install a 2 inch standpipe at A, run the vent up from A and over to join the laundry sink vent, and then join the 2 inch or bigger drain line at C or D?

Your easier move is to dump the washing machine drain into the laundry sink, but I expect that is what you are looking to move away from.
img_2.png

Darryl L

Reaction score
Does this represent what you are trying to describe? Are you wanting to install a 2 inch standpipe at A, run the vent up from A and over to join the laundry sink vent, and then join the 2 inch or bigger drain line at C or D?

Your easier move is to dump the washing machine drain into the laundry sink, but I expect that is what you are looking to move away from.
View attachment 34939

Thanks for replying so quickly. You are correct I do not want to dump into the sink. Right now all I have is a 2" pipe sticking out of the slab. It's all new remodel. I'm no stranger to plumbing so im ready to do what I need to do to get it right. I'll have my washer standpipe and p trap going towards the sink...

Reach4

Reaction score
The drain stuff will be 2 inch. I think you want to turn the corner with a long sweep. You can join the vent with the 1.5 inch sink vent 12 inches or more above the flood plane of the sink or top of the standpipe, I think. You could use an AAV instead of a vent, but that becomes a potential point of failure later.

How high off of the floor do you want to connect your horizontal line to the drain?

You might post a photo of the area.

http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/1632s.jpg
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_standpipe_aav3-png.31469/
There are other ways. See attached img_4.png. The turn could be under the stand for the laundry sink, and might be 2 45 degree turns rather than a 90 degree turn to avoid the leg of the laundry tub. What is shown as an AAV could instead be piped up and over to a basement plumbing vent ( the vent must not be carrying water from above).

You need to keep the horizontal drain lines at 1/4 inch per foot slope until the vent, and at least that after the vent. I am not a plumber or other pro.

Attachments

• img_4.png
    img_4.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,318
Last edited:

Darryl L

Reaction score
The drain stuff will be 2 inch. I think you want to turn the corner with a long sweep. You can join the vent with the 1.5 inch sink vent 12 inches or more above the flood plane of the sink or top of the standpipe, I think. You could use an AAV instead of a vent, but that becomes a potential point of failure later.

How high off of the floor do you want to connect your horizontal line to the drain?

You might post a photo of the area.

http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/1632s.jpg
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_standpipe_aav3-png.31469/

You need to keep the horizontal drain lines at 1/4 inch per foot slope until the vent, and at least that after the vent. I am not a plumber or other pro.

I'm not on site and can take a snap shot shortly but basically it's exposed framing. I have plenty of room to work. I've seen a good diagram from this forum but since I have to turn the corner I wasn't sure if it complicates things.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm not on site and can take a snap shot shortly but basically it's exposed framing. I have plenty of room to work. I've seen a good diagram from this forum but since I have to turn the corner I wasn't sure if it complicates things.
If you want to get the piping inside of the framing, that would complicate things right at the corner. I don't know if you would need a long sweep in that corner for horizontal to horizontal in your area, but even a short sweep is not going to stay inside of normal framing, I don't think. If you are going to have the pipes outside of the framing, it should be relatively simple I would think.

As I understand it, you need a cleanout if you make more than 135 degrees in turns. I guess my image 4 should have added a cleanout somewhere. The AAV could be unscrewed and used as a cleanout place, but I guess you would need another cleanout in each of the the horizontal pieces after the san tee.

Last edited:

Darryl L

Reaction score
If you want to get the piping inside of the framing, that would complicate things right at the corner. I don't know if you would need a long sweep in that corner for horizontal to horizontal in your area, but even a short sweep is not going to stay inside of normal framing, I don't think. If you are going to have the pipes outside of the framing, it should be relatively simple I would think.

As I understand it, you need a cleanout if you make more than 135 degrees in turns. I guess my image 4 should have added a cleanout somewhere. The AAV could be unscrewed and used as a cleanout place, but I guess you would need another cleanout in each of the the horizontal pieces after the san tee.

I'm thinking of this (see attached) and sweep at the corners. A cabinet will be installed in the corner so could come out a bit in the corner and it would hidden...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks