Plumbing a stainless triple bowl sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Neggie

Reaction score
The pvc plumbing under our stainless triple bowl sink keeps coming loose. It unfortunately, is all tied together with the dishwasher and garbage disposal, leading to one waste trap. We have had many plumbers over the years, take a look at it, and not one of them can tell us why this keeps happening. We've questioned them about possible vibration from the water of the dishwasher, or the usage of the garbage disposal, and they look at us like we're crazy. One plumber relocated the dishwasher to flow into the drain pipe, instead of empting into the garbage disposal. He said it would increase the life span of the garbage disposal. We've asked about changing the pvc pipes and connections to metal, and was told pvc is better. I'm tired of finding water floading under the sink every 3 to 6 months, due to the pvc connections coming loose. By the way, this has been going on for about 16 years. I love the sink, I just don't love the mess underneath it when it decides to blow.:confused:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Chances are that you haven't had any good plumbers work on it yet.
Slip Joints on a sink drain need to go together with great care and should have all joints overlap as much as possible fitting together in a manner where not one joint has any stress on it. The tubular stuff should stay together almost without the nuts being connected.

Neggie

Reaction score
I agree with you. I haven't been able to find a plumber who knows what they are doing, even though they will try to convince you otherwise. I tried to find one through Angie's List and Greg's list. I live in the Columbus, Ohio area. If you know of any great plumbers, please let me know.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

Connecting a triple bowl sink with a single trap is a real challenge because you have to route one of the two outer sinks around the center disposer, and that creates a very unstable drain system, unless it is done with glued together fittings, which is seldom the case. Using the more common tubular creates a multiplicity of slip joints which can come apart because of the vibration.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I can come up and take care of your problem if you are willing to pay the trip charge from Dayton and back...:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks