Plumbing a double sink with disposer

Users who are viewing this thread

JW62

Reaction score
Terry, thanks for your website. I have found it quite helpful. Haven't seen an answer to a question I have on plumbing a double sink sink with a disposal. I am installing a new double sink with a disposer (I don't think it should matter but if it does, I will be connection a dishwasher discharge to the port on the disposal). The original drain connection used a baffle tee at the bottom of a 90 degree tailpiece coming out of the disposer. The side part of the tee connected to the drain from the other side of the sink. I want to get rid of the baffle tee as it restricts flow and also get rid of the thin walled polypropeline 1 1/2 drain pieces and go with 1 1/2 ABS pipe and fittings. The new sink will have the same bowl depths on both sides (current sink has the disposal side 3" higher). What I am thinking of is the following. Using the 90 degree discharge tube from the disposal it would connect to the top of a long turn wye. The long turn side of the wye would connect horizontally to the other side of the sink. The bottom of the wye would connect to an 1 1/2 ABS p trap that would then be connected to the drain line coming from the wall. (I am thinking I will have enough height to do this. If not, I may need to substitute a sanitary street wye for the long turn wye). Using this setup I can have full unrestricted flow from both sinks. Hopefully this description makes sense. Do you see any reason why this would not work or not be an acceptable connection? Thanks for any input you might have.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A newer disposer chips the food into small bits. If it isn't doing that, then you need a new one. I find that disposers last about eight years. If you call the manufacturer, they insist something like 12-13 years. I don't buy that. If you have 8 years you've got your money's worth.
I find nothing wrong with using a baffle tee. It prevents water from coming up the other bowl. I also like tubular fittings. If you need to pull it apart, it's easy.

sink_dw.jpg

JW62

Reaction score
A newer disposer chips the food into small bits. If it isn't doing that, then you need a new one. I find that disposers last about eight years. If you call the manufacturer, they insist something like 12-13 years. I don't buy that. If you have 8 years you've got your money's worth.
I find nothing wrong with using a baffle tee. It prevents water from coming up the other bowl. I also like tubular fittings. If you need to pull it apart, it's easy.

sink_dw.jpg

JW62

Reaction score
Thanks. You are probably right. I haven't had too many issues with the current high end disposer but got a new one that should do a better job. But wouldn't the fittings I describe above prevent water from flowing up to the other bowl?

Reaction score
A baffle tee is not necessary if the sink without the disposer has a standard length tailpiece.

Many kitchen double sinks are installed this way with just one p-trap, but they each have their own length of tailpiece.

But there is no harm installing a baffle tee anyways if this is for a new install. It may do no good, but definitely won't do any harm either.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What does a "standard length tailpiece, (whatever that is), have to do with the need for "no baffle tee"? You must have a very unusual sink/drain configuration if you have room for that conglomeration of fittings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks