plumbing 2 showers

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by lakeport, May 12, 2010.

1. lakeport

lakeport New Member

Im remodeling and have 1 bathrrom above the other, Im going to use 3/4 copper and was wondering whats the best way to go about it so 2 people camn shower at the same time (In different showers) with out a huge drop in pressure...thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Unless you are using multiple heads in the shower, 3/4" lines up to the valve (you can reduce then to 1/2" to save some money) should be fine.
  3. lakeport

lakeport New Member

thanks for the reply....so I should run 3/4 to the 1st shower then continue to the 2nd(branch off) or run 2 different 3/4 lines and t off ..thanks
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'd run a 3/4" line and convert to 1/2" at each valve individually. A 3/4" line should be able to safely handle nearly 15gpm. A single shower head is maxed out at 2.5gpm per code (but allows multiple heads). A 1/2" valve should be able to handle in the range of 5gpm, so won't starve a single showerhead. As long as you T off the 3/4" line with individual 1/2" feeds to your valves, it should be fine unless you pressure is really subpar to begin with.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

3/4 to the first and continue with 1/2" to the second will be more than adequate. Any HUGE drop in pressure will be because of inadequate piping TO that point.