Plumbing 2 baths on second floor to minimize water pressure drops

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwray

Reaction score
My house currently has 1 full bath on the second floor. I am changing that situation to 2 full baths on second floor plus a 1/2 bath on first floor. In the process I am redoing all of the supply and drain plumbing (entire house). I'm almost through with the DWV and doing some supply planning.

When I am done I want to have a setup that minimizes pressure drops in the shower (especially) and lavs with toilet flushing, dishwasher and clothes washer running etc.

Here' the final configuration:
Basement - hot water heater, clothes waser, and laundry sink
First floor - 1/2 bath, kitchen sink, dishwasher
Second floor - Guest bath: tub/shower, toilet, vanity
Master bath: shower with 2 heads, toilet, 2 vanities

I should also note that the way the plumbing will route (at least the easiest way - could do other if it will help with pressure) to the second floor baths is:

Guest Bath - lav, then toilet, then tub/shower. I could also easily pickup the master toilet and lavs from this run, but this might be too much for 3/4"?

Master bath - the layout is such that the toilet is first and then the 2 lavs are to one side and the 2 shower heads are to the other side

Should I run a separate 3/4" hot and cold line to second floor for each bath and then go to 1/2" at each fixture?

I'll be happy to supply additional info anyone wants. I appreciate your time and advice.

Thanks,

Joel

Finnegan

Reaction score
I was faced with a similar dilemma when plumbing my own house. I opted to bring one set of 3/4" lines up to the two second floor bathrooms. I thought it made more sense to minimize the amount of pipe. I wanted to avoid stagnant water in the pipes and the annoying wait for hot or cold water. As you can see I did not opt for a hot water circulation system.

TheZster

Reaction score
I imagine your main interior line is 3/4 inch... which is pretty "honkin big" as far as water supply goes - though 1 inch is even better...... If it were me..... I'd run single 3/4 as close to the "end user" and branch off of that with 1/2 to your units...

Then again, depending on where you live....... I'm now in a house with Pex flex tubing.... and love it. Each fixture in the house has a dedicated 1/2 inch line running to a central manifold. No pressure drops..... and quick, quick hot water.... It's "spendy" compared to copper - but installs in no time at all... without leaky solder joints (if you're a "weekend plumber")....

Not a plumber.... so take it with a grain of salt.......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks