PlumbersPutty--not for acrylic?

Users who are viewing this thread

DonJa

Reaction score
Still working on my new overflow drain. In my last post I wrote "I'm plumbing a new overflow and tub drain.I know I'll need plumbers putty below the rim of the threaded drain plug...."
In reading my tub of plumbers putty from Ace it says 'Stainless fixture..." and also Do not use on plastic or any porous material. ...use Ace siliconized Acrylic Tub & tile caulk on plastic or porous material.
So what would be best to seal the interface between the metal drain plug and the acrylic??
DonJa

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One company does make a plumber's putty that is rated safe for plastics, but many people use silicon.

Spta97

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I had silicone on my old drain and it was hard as a rock when I removed it years later. I didn't leak, but I would look for a brand of putty that you can use anywhere. I saw an article in my Family Handy Man magazine which stated they have plumbers putty that is safe for situations like yours.

Another annoying thing about silicone is that you have to wait for it to cure (24 hrs) before you can test for leaks and if it does leak you are back to square one. With plumbers putty you can test right away.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks