Plumbers- your preference for tub and shower valves/ faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Recently I rehabbed a rental house I own. We totally redid the tub, down to the studs. The location of the shower valve does not lend itself to maintenance. I bought a Moen two handle shower valve. After roughing in the valve and finishing out the tile I put the handles on and realized I didn't care for the valve at all. It did not seem sturdy or well built.

My question is what brand and types of tub and shower valves do you pros prefer? Recently I changed the guts out of a price Pfister at my house that was 14 years old. The guts were expensive but the valve was sturdy and seemed well built.

One single handle or two? Stainless, brass, or ?

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
I recently installed a Moen two handle and don't like it either. I bent part of it while tightening the fittings. Not well built at all.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Texas Wellman,
If your new tiles have 2 holes already and if you don't want to re-do the tiles, then stay with a two handles. Any 8" rough in will fit, last week I installed a PP. EZ Flo makes a nice Sayco like rough in. I installed 5 last year.
If you prefer a single handle, Moen is a good choice. Some tile work will be required.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
tl2368ep_repair_01.jpg

Where the old two handle shower had been.

tl2368ep_repair_04.jpg

Replaced with Moen.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/moen-tl2368ep-shower-remodel-trim.61164/

Moen TL2368EP Shower remodel trim

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What do you mean by, "the location of the valve does NOT lend itself to maintenance"? IF you can SEE the valve, it can be "maintained". I do not know why ANYONE would install a two handle tub/shower valve these days, since they are obsolete.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Delta shower body (pressure balance) with integral stops and Gerber tub waste

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
What do you mean by, "the location of the valve does NOT lend itself to maintenance"? IF you can SEE the valve, it can be "maintained". I do not know why ANYONE would install a two handle tub/shower valve these days, since they are obsolete.

I'm not sure what you are asking. You cannot access the valve body itself from the backside (not my design!). There is a kitchen cabinet on the other side. You'd have to go in through the cabinet. It would be a very tight fit. I can tell you it won't be me. Of course you can access the shower side to change the guts out etc.

So in general do plumbers prefer the single handle design? I don't need anything fancy. This is for a rent house. We have always used either two handle or three.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"
So in general do plumbers prefer the single handle design? I don't need anything fancy. This is for a rent house. We have always used either two handle or three."

I work for over 32 law firms in NYC 29 of them are personal injury and when I see a 2 or 3 valve shower body installed that is not pressure or temperature balance it makes my testimony a lot easier as it is against most civilized codes to install non pressure or temperature balance valves and the shower temperature shall not exceed 125 def F and 105 DEG F is there are elderly or children using the shower / tub

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do NOT "maintain or service" tub/shower valves from INSIDE the wall. It is all done outside from the front of the valve. There is no need to access the valve body, unless you are changing the valve'

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
You do NOT "maintain or service" tub/shower valves from INSIDE the wall. It is all done outside from the front of the valve. There is no need to access the valve body, unless you are changing the valve'

I'm not sure if you're trying to be a jackass but you've accomplished it in both your replys. I think it was pretty obvious what I meant. The valve IMO is pretty flimsy and not well built. The handles, trim, etc are junk plastic. I didn't realize it until AFTER I had installed it. It would be very difficult to CHANGE the unit, I wish I had picked a different faucet from the get go. I'm trying to figure out which valves I can buy that are NOT a POS out of the box and if a single handle is better than a two handle. I don't have much knowledge of brands/types/etc so hence the question. All the faucets I have ever used my whole life have been two handled, I had no idea they were so obsolete. Curious as to why many, many two handled new models and brands are available at every retailer if they are so obsolete.

For the rest of you who took time to write out a thoughtful informational answer I thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Because of lawsuits, we have gone to either pressure balanced or thermostatic valves that prevent scalding.
This was done decades ago. The hardware stores carry plenty of replacements for items that were originally installed fifty plus years ago. It drives the plumbing inspectors nuts. Homeowners buy non-code valves, and then the plumbing inspectors are stuck with the task of turning down the job. The hardware stores are of the opinion that since they sell a lot, they should call the shots, not the plumbing inspectors.
There are many forums out that that will rubber stamp any idea you want. We have a few grumpy plumbers here that don't mind calling out mistakes. They are here to make sure that what you install works for the future.
As in all forums anywhere, be careful that the advice you read is real. Some of it is entertaining and some of it is real. We do our best here to help the DIY homeowner.

I don't know of a two handle have that I can recommend. I've been plumbing since the early 70's.

Plumbers tend to stick to products that have a history of support for their products. Do they work? Can you get parts? Are there options if the valve is installed too deep in the wall?

A few valves we use are, and not in any order.

Moen
Kohler
Delta
Hansgrohe

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Terry Love. As a licensed water well driller and pump installer I can appreciate what you are saying.

Before this post I knew nothing about pressure balanced or thermostatic valves. We don't have plumbing inspectors here so none of that applies. I honestly don't care what a valve costs so much. $200 or $300, as long as it's a quality unit that will last a long time and then when it leaks I'm able to change out the guts quickly and easily. I have a bad feeling that I will be changing this valve out within the next 5 years.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
So if you're going to do a simple job like changing a shower faucet out for a customer do you have to have an inspection/permit?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would not, because it just adds a lot of cost to the job and gives absolutely no benefits. The major reason for permits is so the city/county can update the tax base to make sure you pay the taxes on the improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:

dan411

Reaction score
I am in the process of of a shower remodel and installed a delta r10000 valve per the recommendation of my father in law who is a builder/contractor. General online consensus agrees with him, seems to be a favorite due to durability and ease of install.

I just chose my trim and was a tough choice for me. Most deltas are single handle on/off with temperature change due to position. I opted for a 2 handle so I could set both temperature and flow rate. I confirmed what most online reviews said about the 2 handle delta's, the main on/off handle feels heavy and solid, well built metal, but the temperature adjustment is cheap plastic. I will rarely adjust it though and it comes with a lifetime warranty so Im okay with that.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Recently I rehabbed a rental house I own. We totally redid the tub, down to the studs. The location of the shower valve does not lend itself to maintenance.

A rental home should have had a single handle, pressure balanced valve. We haven't been installing two handle valves because of legal reasons for decades.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks