Plumbers - Valve Choice for replacement valves.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by motonutz123, Jul 26, 2008.

1. motonutz123

motonutz123 New Member

Hi,

I am going to replace some 30 yo shower faucets with kits from the same company. I figure that there will be no compatibility problems that way. I have a choice of using compression valves like on the original or using 1/4 turn valves using ceramic disc valves. I'm leaning towards the 1/4 turn valves using ceramic disc valves but don't have an exploded view to look at to see the mechanics of the design. What do you think is the best design and why?

Thanks for your impute.
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

With just the options you have given to pick from I would upgrade away from the old compression style and use the 1/4 turn ceramic ones.

Have you considered a complete upgrade to a new pressure balanced unit? I would!:cool:
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There is no guarantee, even staying with the same company, that new handles, etc. will fit on old valves.

I'd take the time to bite the bullet and update the valve to one meeting current code. Depending on the extent of the remodeling, you may be required to, and even if not, when it comes time to sell, it may become a factor.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

You do need to be sure that the conversion is compatable.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

conversion

You must have Price Pfister valves. If so, do go with the ceramic stems, but BE ABSOLUTELY SURE to remove the seats from the valve body and throw them away, (if you have the Crown Jewel series, however don't throw them away because you might need them).