Plumbers putty? Overrated?

Users who are viewing this thread

edwardh3

Reaction score
why does the mfg say this?

St Thomas, a maker of nice sink bowls, says do not use a wrench on the drain fitting- tighten only.
Are their producys so weal that a wrench on the drain will break the porcelain bowl? They actually say "hand tighten only"

seems silicone would seal up the big black rubber drain washer and sink drain better/easier than plumbers putty.

TMB9862

Reaction score
St Thomas, a maker of nice sink bowls, says do not use a wrench on the drain fitting- tighten only.
Are their producys so weal that a wrench on the drain will break the porcelain bowl? They actually say "hand tighten only"

seems silicone would seal up the big black rubber drain washer and sink drain better/easier than plumbers putty.

I bet putty would work fine but that's one situation I'd go with silicon. I'd also probably give it an ever so slight shot with a wrench, instructions be dammed.

DaddyBean

Reaction score
silicone is not foolproof

I have beige plastic sinks and matching (different mfg) beige plastic strainer baskets. I silicone them in place, and they last 3-4 months before the silicone somehow breaks free and it starts leaking.

The most logical explanations are faulty materials or installation, but I use top-of-the-line silicone and go to great lengths to make it as leakproof as possible. I just don't see what I could be doing wrong.

-100% silicone, GE Silicone II, about $6/tube @ Lowe's
-both surfaces scrubbed with a nylon scrubby, rinsed & dried
-both surfaces wiped with rubbing alcohol to guarantee perfectly clean, perfectly dry. Allow several minutes for alcohol to evaporate. (This step added on the third installation of the same strainer, which is to say, this step is not causing the problem.)
-glossy plastic on strainer basket lip scuffed up a bit with sandpaper
-heavy bead of silicone around hole in sink
-heavy bead around lip of strainer basket
-press in place, tighten (gently) to lower half of basket
-clean up excess
-leave dry and undisturbed for 24+ hours

It should be bomb-proof... and yet, as sure as God made little green apples, it will start leaking in a couple of months.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Siliconed drains come right out as easy as putty. The cleanup of excess caulk is the draw back. One guy I knew said caulk didn't work, he was using tub caulk, not 100% silicone.

I had a problem with the last SS sink drain I put in using putty, I went back to install a disposal and I noticed the drains had been leaking. When I removed the baskets the putty I put in six months earlier was gone. The drain was loose and the gasket on the bottom couldn't work. I never used putty again. The problem, I think was a cheap box store basket that was wavy. The silicone I put in there worked.

The problem may not really be with the putty so much as the cheap foriegn made parts with too much space. The silicone solves the problem so I use it. I used putty for 10 years without issue then all of a sudden several failures. I don't know the reason, but silicone solved the problem.

Plumbers putty is not there to make the seal. It cushions the basket or pop up assembly. The seal is made with the gasket below. Silicone should never ever be used. The same guys that smear blue goo all over engine gaskets rather than clean and set the gasket properly are responsible for this attitude. The big difference between professional plumbers and homeowners it that we know better than to rely on silicones, epoxies, miles of teflon tape and pipe dope. A properly made fittment will not leak. Everything else is just patchwork or ignorance. Putty can and will stain some surfaces, so use the non staining putty. I have, many times had to replace the entire stainless steel kitchen sink because getting the siliconed baskets out ruined the sink.

staput-ultra.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have replaced basket strainers that wer 30+ years old, installed with plumbers putty, and never leaked...if you don't know how to use a product it won't work...unless the Mfg. of a product specifys a particular sealant to be used with their product then plumbers putty is called for...the odds of getting bad silicone is almost non existant...you would know it was bad when you used it...so the problem will most likely be operator error...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks