Plumbers putty on plastic

Users who are viewing this thread

index1489

Reaction score
I recently repaired a leaky drain on a FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) tub/surround.

Plumbers putty was already present in the drain from the builder, I noticed on the product I used mentioned not to use on plastic, the drain piping is black plastic and so is the tub.

After a little bit of research I found a type of putty oil free safe for plastic Sta Put, is it worth the hassle of changing?

Mliu

Reaction score
Before even discussing the putty, perhaps you should mention what the cause of the leak was.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The fixture being plastic is the only place it is not recommended because the oils can discolor the material. The drain being plastic is not a factor.

index1489

Reaction score
Thanks guys appreciate the responses, the source of the leak is still unconfirmed, there was a tiny wet spot in my downstairs celling, upstairs is a bathroom, the toilet and sink has no leaks, and a few months back I caulked everything in the tub with GE-Silicion II after I replaced the water cartridge.

I assume is a small leak from the existing plumbers putty failing on the drain (2005 construction), removed cleaned and repacked, going to wait a couple of days for the spot to fully dry, then keep an eye on it for a week to make sure it doesn't get bigger or get wet again before I paint over it.

If it still leaks Ill just call a plumber.

I ended up ordering Sta Put putty so I minus will just redo it anyway.

The mfg said the following in my response.

"It will be fine on fiberglass. The main concern is on ABS plastic.

This warning is mainly for ABS plastics… However the use of 100% silicone caulk is always a safe alternative.

Thank You"

Isn't the drain ABS plastic? (black)

I noticed how you said the only concern is for staining, I've read that the oils can soften ABS is that true?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One flaw in your diagnosis is that the putty does NOT prevent leaks from the bottom of the tub. You could install the drain piece without any putty and it would not leak onto the ceiling. BUT, it might leak out of the tub down the drain because that is what the putty prevents. Your leak is more likely the gasket behind the overflow plate.

index1489

Reaction score
Your leak is more likely the gasket behind the overflow plate.

Thanks for the response, I'll keep that in mind, this place was built in 2005, we lived in another house in the same neighborhood built on the same year and our master bathroom shower (no overflow) leaked down to our kitchen ceiling and the place was less then 6 months old, the builder came to fix it and it ended up being the drain.

I did caulk around the overflow plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks