Plumbers Putty Function under Faucet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by molo, Sep 29, 2007.

1. molo

molo Member

Is the only function of the putty to keep water from getting under the faucet from outside of it?
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Yes it is!:D
  3. molo

molo Member

Thought maybe :rolleyes:
  4. Putty is oil based......so unless it's on porcelain I would use a bead of silicone on the outer edge of faucet where it terminates at the top of the sink.
  5. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

The directions often say to wrap plumber's putty around the underside of the faucet, and one plumber I worked with packs the entire area of the underside of the faucet with putty.

Since faucets generally come with a plastic seal to block water from leaking below, I don't see the need to use putty. I use the clear silicone that Rugged mentioned, but only if the plastic seal isn't working.
  6. Cass

Cass Plumber

Putty is much easier to remove than silicone so I will only use putty unless is is a surface that putty can't be used on.