Plumbers putty for tub drain, or...?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by pghsebring, Jun 13, 2011.

1. pghsebring

pghsebring DIY Member

I have a sterling vikrell bathtub that i need to put a pvc drain on. On this forum i saw a discussion of plumbers putty vs. silicone, and it seemed plumbers putty won. However, in the blue and orange box stores around here, they only have the standard oateys plumbers putty, and on it, the directions say "do not use on plastic." The vikrell is pretty close to "plastic" as far as i can tell.

So what would you do here?

stuart
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You need "no stain" plumber's putty, although, since Vickrell is a very smooth surface, you could probably get by with NO putty at all, (especially if you only use the shower), since all it does is "keep" the water in the tub when it is filled. It does NOT prevent leaks from under the tub.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. pghsebring

pghsebring DIY Member

I can't find "no stain" around here, the box stores only have regular old oateys plumbers putty. There also is no plumbers supply shop around here. I guess i'll have to keep looking.