Plumber's Preference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Is it out of the ordinary to install the cleanout, above the santee for my washing machine outlet box setup? I figure since the trap/trap-arm/stand-pipe are in the wall, and the trap cannot be taken apart it would make more sense...

Is it also out of the ordinary or a bad idea to use a 2" trap on my tub/shower, the line is obviously 2" and trap isn't set, I realize drain/overflows are 1.5"?

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Installing a C/O on a washing machine stack is a good idea; installing it above the wash box is not. One day someone will have to cable that line, and having a C/O high up off the floor is a safety risk for the operator of any drum machine. Also, C/O plugs are ugly, and most people want them hidden away.

The restriction for a tub happens at the fixture outlet piping, and especially at the tub strainer if an integrated popup is used. Using a 2" line won't offer any real benefit other than the fact that a clog is somewhat less likely to form. But then on the other hand, using a larger pipe "could" make it harder to cable the line when it finally becomes necessary to clear a blockage if you are using a smaller cable.

However, if you've already roughed-in a 2" line, you may as well put in a 2" p-trap.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I said C/O above the santee, not the wash box though... On my lav I would install it below the trap arm, in this case I wanted to install it just above, it would only be higher by the height of the 2x2x2 santee...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We are REQUIRED to have a cleanout in the riser, and it can be above or below the sanitary tee, ( and how high above the sanitary tee is a personal preference, there is no "standard" height. For example, behind a toilet the cleanout is often installed higher than the toilet's tank which is about 3' above the floor). I prefer to rotate it to the other side of the wall so I do not have to pull the washer or dryer to get to it. I ALWAYS use a 2" trap for a bathtub and reduce at the point where the tub drain connects to it. A snake will go around a 2" trap a lot easier than through a 1 1/2" one.

Last edited:

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
I've generally installed the clean outs above the san tee's as well but I'm not sure if that is the best solution or not.
I know that I have made more than my fair share of mistakes.

For example in the last project I put the clean out for the main stack in the adjoining closet rather than in the bathroom on the side wall next to the toilet.
Oh well at least I made an effort.
Michael

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Thank you hj, unfortunately I wont be able to turn this clean out because it's going to be inside a wall between my neighbor and I, I see where you're coming from though, it's nicer not having to crawl under a sink to get at them either...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks