plumbers nightmare/delight

Users who are viewing this thread

debodun

Reaction score
I live in a brick Victorian home approximately 100 years old. The plumbing, if I can estimate its age, was likely installed in the 1930's or 40's. The intake pipes were completely 1/2 or 3/4" galvanized iron. This past summer I had massive pipe failure and numerous floods in the cellar. A plumber I hired replaced the old visible pipes with copper tubing, but only as far as they disappeared into the wall partition. A few weeks ago we had cold water pipe freeze and when it was thawed, it started leaking between the exterior wall and the kitchen wall, necessitating a line shutoff. The plumber had to knock a hole in the kitchen wall to get access to the leak. This repaired, he turned the water on, but the water only went as far as he repaired. There was still no water to the upstairs. He ended up having to replace the whole cold water line and had to knock more holes in the kitchen ceiling to get to the pipes. As he was removing the old pipes, he asked me to look through them. Some sections were almost entirely blocked with mineral deposits. He advised me at that time I should also have the hot water line done before repairing the wall and ceiling. Could the hot water line would be as corroded as the cold water? When I turn on the hot water, there is good presure at first, but as the warmer water reaches the faucet, it slows to a trickle. When I shut off the hot water, I hear a bang in the pipe.

Also there is a leak in the drain under the kitchen sink. About 15 years ago, the garbage disposal was removed. The drainpipe was replaced with plastic (I assume PVC) tubes. Now where the plastic and the metal pipes meet, the joints have given out. I tried, but I cannot re-attach the plastic to the metal part. At the joints, it looks to be a threaded connection, but I turned and turned it. When I let go, it just pops open again. How should I go about repairing that? Or should I just let the plumber fix it when he comes to do the other job? :eek:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
If it were my walls that were already opened, I'd definitely replace both the hot and the cold piping. In addition, I'd just let the plumber handle the kitchen sink. It probably isnt going to add THAT much more to the total bill in the end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks