Users who are viewing this thread

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Here was a new one for me.

Had a customer call me in dire need of "plumber's candles" for a wedding shower tomorrow night, pronto! She was going down a list of plumbers trying to find someone who would sell her some since all the hardware stores she called could only order it and have it in a few days.

I personally am not aware of these, maybe cause I only hatched out of the egg in the late 60's? She stated that they are long and thick, and very hard to come by. I stopped right there and excused myself from the conversation because she started giggling uncontrollably. I implied that she may want to call the plumbing supply houses in the area to fit her need.

I promise this isn't a joke, I really did get a call on plumber's candles today. Anyone who knows about these let me know. I can't see what candles provided in the plumbing industry unless it was for a source of light in crawlspaces or something. Or maybe even something tied to pouring lead joints but it takes a pretty strong source of heat to get a lead ladle going for pouring.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Not 100% sure but there definately are plumbers candles and I beleive they were used to light the old fule torches. No spark ignighters back then.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
candles

In my past life, we used them in crawl spaces when there was no electricity and we used a candle when we were taking our test for Journeyman and masters licenses.

Just call a good supply house and ask.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Last I knew they use talcum powder to keep the lead from sticking to the cloth.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I think they'd be happier (giggle, giggle) with an alternative

I think they'd giggle a lot more with the "Household and Emergency Candle". The Plumbers Candles are described as "chubbier and slightly shorter" than these household candles (1 1/8" by 4 1/2" vs 3/4" by 7"), although perhaps chubby may be more appropriate for this particular group. Further I don't want to go :) .

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Cookie said:
Rugged,

You did also figure out why they were giggling right?
No further comment ...

Oh yeah.........definitely. At the time the statement was made I went kinda dull on them, I was trying to drive my truck in a huge rainstorm and was hoping for a service call that would equate to $$$.

So I guess I was kinda on track with my thinking with the lead pouring and the like, just a different application. I've seen those candles numerous times at weddings,,,,,,just didn't know they had anything to do with plumbers.

Damn we're good!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks