Plumber quit

Users who are viewing this thread

Kremitch

Reaction score
My home is in a smallish city but I live and work 300km away coming home once a month. I have a logistical communication problem to begin with then. The person who I chose to do a major plumbing job in my house was unfortunately unknown to me. I found him on kijiji but he looked pretty good on LinkedIn. The big guys were too busy. Nevertheless he claimed to be a pipefitter of 29 years. I told him I needed references before we started but somehow the job got started before I got them. After only a day I started to have concerns as he seemed to be wanting to cut corners. Even his partner brother was disagreeing with him. I took it upon myself to contact the union to ensure he had a license but was told he had to give permission to release that info. I asked him today. And as I had already asked for and received an estimate just this morning from one of the big guys outlining how the job was to proceed I passed on this info. He responded with hysteria proclaiming that my 1000 deposit was his and I could do the work myself. I am not sure what to do now. The big guys were going to charge a lot more and I probably wouldn't have gone ahead with their quote. I have no idea how bad he left my basement he was ripping out major pipes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Here, you call the licensing board to check on licenses, NOT the union. If the $1,000.00 is worth a lawyer, and you could get it back even if you do get a judgement, then sue him. There is probably a good reason why the "big guys were going to charge more", and it was probably because that is what the job SHOULD cost. What kind of "estimate" did you get from one of the "big guys"?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Quote: "I told him I needed references before we started but somehow the job got started before I got them."

How did this happen?
Do you have a contract with him?
How did you pay the $1000 deposit? cash, ck or cc.

Kremitch

Reaction score
Here, you call the licensing board to check on licenses, NOT the union. If the $1,000.00 is worth a lawyer, and you could get it back even if you do get a judgement, then sue him. There is probably a good reason why the "big guys were going to charge more", and it was probably because that is what the job SHOULD cost. What kind of "estimate" did you get from one of the "big guys"?
i have since found a government website - collegeoftrades.ca - and have verified that he is who he says he is - a steam fitter and plumber with a current license. He was charging 3500 no tax. The big guy was charging 2800 plus tax for replumbing the house no changes but I asked for estimate with changes which I didn't get until that day. His estimate was like double but he was going to dig up the floor in the basement where the other guy was going to use the existing pathway but replace with larger pipe and avoid adding new stack-comparing apples with oranges.

Kremitch

Reaction score
I think you have a legal problem to deal with.
I feel fortunate I am not living in the mess and he stopped before he completed the job if he wasn't on the right track. Can the union help me figure out where I go from here in terms of completing the work? I am an office worker and although I have dealt with a roofer and electrician I trust people generally.

Kremitch

Reaction score
Quote: "I told him I needed references before we started but somehow the job got started before I got them."

How did this happen?
Do you have a contract with him?
How did you pay the $1000 deposit? cash, ck or cc.
Everything was written in emails. Cash was transferred via email bank transfer.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Everything was written in emails. Cash was transferred via email bank transfer.

Most banks will back you, Just get your story straight when you talk to them.

Those bank to bank transfers can be reversed, Even if the bank absorbs the loss. They have Insurance for that.

There may be more to the story, So get your shit straight.

Good Luck. I like getting screwed. There is a bright side to everything. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are putting too much faith in the "union". Call a plumber, maybe two or three, and get an estimate to complete the job. That money transfer was probably similar to a debit card, in that you have little recourse for a refund, unlike if you had used a credit card.

DonL

Reaction score
You are putting too much faith in the "union". Call a plumber, maybe two or three, and get an estimate to complete the job. That money transfer was probably similar to a debit card, in that you have little recourse for a refund, unlike if you had used a credit card.

My Credit Union Bank will back me no mater how I pay, If the money comes out of my account.

The only difference in debit and credit is how fast the card gets approved, and billed.

I get 90 days in the state of Texas to tell if I have been screwed.

If you are in Nevada you need to report it ASAP. Then they process a Rape kit. And you hope you still have your wallet, ID and credit cards.

Have Fun Everyone. My Rocker is squeaking.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If I accepted cards, which I do not, I would prefer debit cards because they do not have 'right of recission" in this state. Once it is paid, the consumer has no recourse.

Kremitch

Reaction score
It's been six days and I haven't heard back from this guy. Not that I want to hear back from him but it would smart on his part to see it through. According to one ontario goverment website I can file a complaint with the ministry of government and consumer services. If found at fault he can be fined and even imprisoned. In the meantime I have a house that has no functional plumbing and a very unhappy feeling.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you were to sue for consequential damages, it would be up to you to mitigate the damage.That might mean getting another plumber in to minimize your suffering from lack of plumbing. My point is that I think you should get the plumbing fixed without feeling that you have to give him a further chance to fix things himself. Actually, I don't really know the laws there and not so much for here either. I am not a lawyer or a plumber.

In some places in the US, you can sue for financial damages (return of deposit for example), and maybe more with "pro se" court. I think you should check to see how low-cost disputes are done there. The fact that you dealt primarily with emails is good. It relies less on memory than recalling conversations does.

On the other hand, we have not heard his side of the story. He may have a different view of events.

Kremitch

Reaction score
I have talked with the other plumber just today. He managed to get back to me. I told him what had transpired while I was waiting near a month for his estimate. I also admitted to him how naive I had been to expect his timely consideration. It likely won't be him who finishes the job however as his fees seem to go up with my anguish.

As for the quitter, well no, he was way too crazy that day to ever be considered again as competent-mentally or as a plumber. I would be ok with seeing this person fined and in jail. Let the government investigate and take action where need be.

This is the time where you wish you had more hands on skills. I admire the Diys on this website. I have only ever done my own drywall insulating and painting.

Thanks for listening,

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
"His fees go up with my anguish"

Likely he is getting a clearer picture of what's going on (someone else started the job, difficult customer) and he is adding an appropriate amount of G&A tax. I do it, and I suspect a lot of other contractors do too, especially if a guy told me he was naive to expect "timely consideration".

Kremitch

Reaction score
Yes the plumber agreed as he was booking into October already.
Preying on people and holding them ransom is not what I call professional. Better you just refuse the job that way there's no confusion.

Kremitch

Reaction score
There are indeed. My house is located in a border city with the U.S. using Yelp I can see like maybe over a hundred plumbers. Which ones will do the trek is another thing. I did this with my roof. The guys came from 100 km away. Farm boys with roofing knowledge and strong backs. Did the best job a person could ask for and walked away with a fistful of cash and a belly full of food. And much appreciation.
Not sure what is happening in this trade. It must be the job itself that's worn them down as I remember 2o years ago in the classroom those honest earthy young men eager to start their trade.
The diy thing is somewhat ridiculous right. Just do your job and line up the next generation. If you don't like your job do somethibg else. Don't take it out on the consumer.

DonL

Reaction score
Everything may have been OK, If you did not Micromanage the job and let him do his work. I charge more for someone to watch, Or help.

Wanting to pull his permit after you paid for the job, was error on your part.

I think I would have quit too, But I would give you your money back, minus the permit fees.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks