Plumber didn't include drain venting in new bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Shangri-La

Reaction score
I paid a "professional" plumber to put in the drain system for my new bathroom that will be in the shed I'm building. I asked about a vent at the time and he said because it was just a small bathroom that I could use a "faux" vent once we put all the fixtures in after the shed was built. I didn't think much of it at the time because I trusted him unfortunately. Now that I'm ready to move forward with this project (a year later) I thought I'd research a little to make sure all is well before I put the floor in the shed. After a day of reading I've realized that there should definitely be a proper vent line and I'm angry that this wasn't done. At this point, I'm going to do it myself since paying a plumber is not what I'm feeling after the last one.

Any suggestions to where I should put the vent based on the pics? The toilet is tied directly to the main sewer line (partially uncovered toward the outside wall in first pic) and the other 3 drains connect under the toilet (in second pic). Is this easily fixable? Can I add vent without redoing the entire thing?

IMG_2447.jpgIMG_2446.jpg

Thanks for your time :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The person who installed that abortion was NOT a plumber. He used the wrong elbow under the toilet, the toilet CANNOT flow past the other drains unless they have vents, and you need at least one atmospheric vent to make AAVs work properly. You can vent the toilet by installing vents on the 2" drain lines before they attach to the toilet riser.

DaveHo

Reaction score
In addition to what's mentioned above, is the blue pipe I see in the 2nd pic PEX? Has it been sitting out exposed like that for a year? PEX & UV light don't play nice.

Stuff

Reaction score
I never knew you could put a bathroom in a shed. How are you going to protect the pipes from freezing?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good new and bad news. Bad news is this job needs to be redone properly. Good new is, everything is in easy access and it's not too extensive. This time get a licensed plumbing contractor, not a handyman.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Good new and bad news. Bad news is this job needs to be redone properly. Good new is, everything is in easy access and it's not too extensive. This time get a licensed plumbing contractor, not a handyman.

If the poster is near Chicago, our friend and contributor Sewerratz is the first guy I would call.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks