Plumber didn't include drain venting in new bathroom

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Shangri-La, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Shangri-La

Shangri-La New Member

I paid a "professional" plumber to put in the drain system for my new bathroom that will be in the shed I'm building. I asked about a vent at the time and he said because it was just a small bathroom that I could use a "faux" vent once we put all the fixtures in after the shed was built. I didn't think much of it at the time because I trusted him unfortunately. Now that I'm ready to move forward with this project (a year later) I thought I'd research a little to make sure all is well before I put the floor in the shed. After a day of reading I've realized that there should definitely be a proper vent line and I'm angry that this wasn't done. At this point, I'm going to do it myself since paying a plumber is not what I'm feeling after the last one.

Any suggestions to where I should put the vent based on the pics? The toilet is tied directly to the main sewer line (partially uncovered toward the outside wall in first pic) and the other 3 drains connect under the toilet (in second pic). Is this easily fixable? Can I add vent without redoing the entire thing?

IMG_2447.jpg IMG_2446.jpg

Thanks for your time :)
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The person who installed that abortion was NOT a plumber. He used the wrong elbow under the toilet, the toilet CANNOT flow past the other drains unless they have vents, and you need at least one atmospheric vent to make AAVs work properly. You can vent the toilet by installing vents on the 2" drain lines before they attach to the toilet riser.
  4. DaveHo

DaveHo New Member

In addition to what's mentioned above, is the blue pipe I see in the 2nd pic PEX? Has it been sitting out exposed like that for a year? PEX & UV light don't play nice.
  5. Stuff

Stuff Member

I never knew you could put a bathroom in a shed. How are you going to protect the pipes from freezing?
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Good new and bad news. Bad news is this job needs to be redone properly. Good new is, everything is in easy access and it's not too extensive. This time get a licensed plumbing contractor, not a handyman.
  7. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

If the poster is near Chicago, our friend and contributor Sewerratz is the first guy I would call.